tailgate hinges door dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tailgate hinges door dropped

can you still get new hinges for the tailgate mercury colony ford ltd ?

thanks

no
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

They all seem to droop somewhat. Is it so bad that the tailgate doesn't operate properly? If not, leave it be.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well gotta bang it shut a big ? is tho how does the tailgate open down like on a pick up i can get it only to open like a door ??

Comment

pull the handle on the inside after you wind the glass down. You can run the glass down with the key in the tailgate. I forget which way you turn it, but if you turn it fully one direction or the other, it will run the window motor down for you. It goes back up if you turn the key the other direction,.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

many thanks just need to sort out y glass not move so think a new motor from rock shud do

Comment

The two-way tailgate hinge is insanely complicated and not nearly strong enough. I've had two rebuilt and had two "better ones from parts cars" installed. After much adjusting by Gadget and Scott mine doesn't sag - for now.

No, you can't find new ones. The only good bet are junkers that never - or rarely - opened their tailgates and since Ford only made 5000 Colony Parks in each last year of production, finding a good 'un is needle in a haystack stuff. If you do, take the tailgate rubber too - that's just as hard to find.

Since my dogs travel in the wayback I open my tailgate as often as a hearse - too often for the hinge. I use the layflat tailgate feature about once every other year and when the current hinge fails - yes it will, yes it will - I'll ask Scott to figure how to build a simpler, stronger door-opens-sideways-only hinge.

Donald McCaig
              1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

wow !

Comment

I fixed mine up with a little brazing. I took off the hinge from the tailgate and rebuilt the worn area on the hinge. I think it was just the upper one that gave me trouble. It's been working great for two years now and I use my tailgate frequently. I usually open it like a door - it opens like tailgate but my retainer cable is broken.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X