Few strange paint ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few strange paint ideas

I got my 87 gm for a pretty decent price, just under 200$ got it running like a champ for about 60$ and now i want it to look a little different. Right now i'm rocking the tri-color blue with pink and rust. No actual holes but plenty of surface rust..

Anyways I had a few strange or different ideas for the car

A few guys told me i should hurculiner or rhinoliner the whole car, simple and cheap. Both bonuses. I was wondering what anyone thought about this or if anyone had done this to the entire car. I would still leave all t he chrome moldings probably since they are all in good condition.

Another idea i had was flat black, again cheap and fairly easy. This would obviously require a little more work to make it look decent.

I'm kind of leaning towards the rhino liner since this is mostly just my winter beater for now and that will require no maintenance besides just washing it once in a while

Your main barrier with the liners is going to be how thick they go on. It's going to look like ass, even more like ass than you think it will, especially on edges. Furthermore, you'll have issues with body seams and panel gaps being bridged, making the panel hard or impossible to remove, and again just generally looking like ass.

Flat black, like a Blitz Black paint, will look slightly better (but still like some guy was too cheap to put on decent paint and just threw on flat black), but will not be durable.

Either way, your car will be incredible hot in the sun, especially with the bedliners. Think about a black car on a hot day, now lets add a vinyl roof (I'm assuming), and then a quarter inch of rubberized paint, and then make it all absorb light/heat instead of reflecting the majority of it like a glossy paint job.

It'll stop the rust, but so will sanding it down and spraybombing it with factory colour, and at least that route will give you some chance of it ever being worth money again.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

duplicolor spray bomb it
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I say spray paint it. I am having great success lately with spray painting things. You can get a nice finish out of it with some effort.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

take care of mechanical issues first, then worry about the body

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm personally looking at doing my entire car with rockguard as I am tired of it getting scratched in the bush.

Flat black holds moisture much like primer and will not stop rust but feed it. John Deere Blitz Black that is used on tractors and equipment is actually very durable if done right and looks great on the right car.
            1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
            1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
            1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
            1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

I think i will sand it down and spray bomb it the original color. Only problem is that the vin tag is warn off and i dont know the color. Its like a light blue, but not too light. If needed i can take a picture of it or try to find one on the internet of same color.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                duplicolor spray bomb it
                Duplicolor is too expensive. Just walmart spray bomb the thing it will cost you less than $15 bucks. Then every couple of months you can change the color if you want. I suggest black with green flames.

This was done with walmart spray paint in about a day.
                1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                sigpic

Comment

What is the original colour??
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

wtf is with all these people that think its a good idea to paint a car with truck bed liner?

i love flat black cars but bed liner is going to look like a thick caked on mess all over the place and if you ever decide to put something good looking on the car your goin to have to get every bit of that crap off of there again

with white or a light color you could get it on there nice and even and from 20ft it would look amazingly better

that flat black hot rod look doesnt seem to go well with giant 1980's boats in most cases. it'll just end up looking like some trailer park cruiser project and not the 1950's rat rod you hoped it would
                    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Whatever you do is up to you, just giving my suggestions like i said above you can use duplicolor and I guarantee you that it will come out amazingly well. All you need to know is the proper technique on how to spray and it will look mint. Using walmart paint is not as good just because of the spray pattern. It comes out conical making it very difficult to efficiently cover the car in a level manner. While using the duplicolor paint you have a great vertical spray pattern that allows you to overlap the paint while you spray making all the spray patterns virtually invisible after the job is done. and yes i do agree that duplicolor is a little pricey.

Also with a truck be liner all of the extra surface area from the nooks and crannies will make your car incredibly HOT in the sun and not in the good way.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Heres a '89 Colony Park done in bedliner, I think it looks decent, even up close, if your going for the most heavy duty cheap "paint" job, I'd say bedliner, but a DD, just spray bomb it.

---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

damn, that thing is cool. They need to do something with the A-pillar, as the triangle shape is just too jarring and out of place, but otherwise a really neat build. I bet it could do wheelies with some weight in teh back. Do you have any more info on it?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            damn, that thing is cool. They need to do something with the A-pillar, as the triangle shape is just too jarring and out of place, but otherwise a really neat build. I bet it could do wheelies with some weight in teh back. Do you have any more info on it?
                            ugha that hideous wagon. They could have prevented all of the hideousness by using coupe doors. Look it up on car domain to see more hideousness.
                            ~David~

Comment

ya, that thing woulda looked hot as a 2dr

duplicolor has theose built into the can nozzles but theres other spray pants with "fan" nozzles that'll pop off and swap into the top of any spray can. i forgot any of the brands tho at the moment. i used to take them off and put them on the walmart paints when i was working on my model cars
                              1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Working...
                              X