Detailing tip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailing tip...

I was taught this by a woman in our local car club... she found this out by accident... She spilled something in her car, and only had some baby wipes in the car... To clean the interior of your car... Dash pad, vinyl door panels, vinyl seats etc... use baby wipes! (I am trying this tonight, finnally got the car cleaned out of all the core returns etc from the engine swap) She said they will really clean the interior up good, and doesn't harm the surface, since they are made to be used on babies bottoms... I'll let you know how it works...

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Works for cleaning dirty hands too.

They are a great multipurpose item to have in your car! I dunno about not damaging stuff though, most have alcohol or some kind of petroleum distillate in them, which is harmful to a lot of plastics. I use leather wipes on most hard surfaces in my car.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Seventh Generation baby wipes are the way to go. No alcohol. Also helps hinder, and clear up diaper rash!

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

I'll chime in here. I own my own line of detailing products so I can't resist. LOL The wipes might be great for cleaning the dash but they won't leave any UV protection behind. The vinyl, leather and plastic really need UV protectors to help from aging faster.

Comment

Bob, I'm with you. Just because it's ok for a babies bottom doesn't make it good for vinyl. Our skin heals and replenishes oils, the dash of your car will not. I'm sure it works great for cleaning, but I'd still have to follow up with some kind of treatment so that it could stand the test of time. And if I'm going to do it twice, then it's not really saving anything.

Comment

Indeed, they are a good cleaner though in a pinch. Probably better to clean a spill up with those than to let it sit and bake on until you can get your hands on the right stuff.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Indeed, they are a good cleaner though in a pinch. Probably better to clean a spill up with those than to let it sit and bake on until you can get your hands on the right stuff.
              That's even iffy. Without knowing what is in the product there is a possibility it might not be good for the vinyl, plastic or leather or even for the dyes in it. I always recommend using a product designed for the job.

Comment

true, the right stuff is always the best stuff, but sometimes any stuff is better than no stuff. I actually keep that sort of stuff in the trunk, along with microfiber cloths to use it with so I'm pretty well covered.

Hey since we're on the topic, and you seem to know a bit about this stuff (or I hope you do, since you make it), whats a good product to use to protect the dashboards in these cars? I have a perfect one that I'd like to keep perfect. I installed a perfect one before, and within a year it was shot to hell. It dried up and split apart. I'd like to keep this one from doing the same. I also have noticed some cracks starting to form in my Mark VII after 18 years of Armor-All use by the previous owner. I know its too late, but is there anything I can use to stop them from spreading? At this point its not too bad, but I'd like to keep it from becoming a horrible mess if I can help it. I recently bought some 303 Aerospace, hopefully that will do what I need it to do.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  true, the right stuff is always the best stuff, but sometimes any stuff is better than no stuff. I actually keep that sort of stuff in the trunk, along with microfiber cloths to use it with so I'm pretty well covered.

Hey since we're on the topic, and you seem to know a bit about this stuff (or I hope you do, since you make it), whats a good product to use to protect the dashboards in these cars? I have a perfect one that I'd like to keep perfect. I installed a perfect one before, and within a year it was shot to hell. It dried up and split apart. I'd like to keep this one from doing the same. I also have noticed some cracks starting to form in my Mark VII after 18 years of Armor-All use by the previous owner. I know its too late, but is there anything I can use to stop them from spreading? At this point its not too bad, but I'd like to keep it from becoming a horrible mess if I can help it. I recently bought some 303 Aerospace, hopefully that will do what I need it to do.
                  I actually would love to answer that question but I'm afraid I'd be banned for spamming. LOL

For the cracking, it'd be hard to stop once it gets going.

Comment

I personally would have no problem with you talking about your products. What I think would be a problem is if you popped into every thread and told people to buy your stuff. If you'd prefer, feel free to PM me with any info you care to share.

As for the cracking, thats sort of what I was expecting to hear, though I can't say its what I wanted to hear. Damn excessive use of crappy products ruining my cars. At least I can blame this one on someone else. Regrettably, thats all I can do with it since the dashboard in a Mark VII isn't like a Panther. It has no top dashpad that can be replaced, and the chances of me finding a complete black dash from a 90-92 in perfect shape, and me being willing to actually swap the whole damn thing are pretty slim.
                    Last edited by gadget73; 10-09-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I never said it was a good protectorent... only that it is good to clean up the interior, and not have to have any water around. It is a good thing to use in a pinch. I cleaned the steering wheel of my car off with them, took all the grease grime from us grabbing the wheel with grimy hands while doing the engine swap... then I used a protectorent afterwards.

And if I'm going to do it twice, then it's not really saving anything.
                      So you use the protectorent to clean with????

Also, if you read the label, you will see there isn't anything more harmfull then whats in most car care cleaners. (As long as you don't get anything with alcohal in it)

Tom..

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                      Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X