box marquis with removed moulding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

box marquis with removed moulding?

I have wondered how this would look and I was wondering if anyone had any pics of a moulding free merc. and I would take it off the bumpers too, fill the plug holes and have it chromed and do it right with a total clean job. With big back tires you notice how much the body curves in which I like and the moulding kind of hides that.

This combined with a slicktop and black paint job with dark tint would look pretty sharp I think.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Problem. First the filler panels it cant be removed on. Have to find different already smooth ones. Second you will have to fill some holes in the trunk when you do it. Look for my 89. There are pics of it somewhere and I've done it on that.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If you have good paint I wouldn't bother - especially since you have the decluttered 88-up style.

I have the 87-down so this may only apply. But generally the paint behind the mouldings is slightly different color due to lack of sun exposure, at best. But what you will probably find is a lot of touching up and possibly repainting needed (though you have white, which makes it easier). I found that the adhesive used on the wheelwell pieces pulled a lot of paint off on removal. Also on my car (dark brown) they apparently didn't "waste" as much paint since they knew that the lower areas would be covered, so it is actually tan in spots. The lower half would need completely repainted.

This also does not mention the nubs that would have to be removed and holes filled (welding if you are good at it, newer reinforced filler if you are not).
      2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
      2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
      1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

yeh if i do it it will be when the car gets a new paint job. paint is in great shape but i will be looking for a really nice paint job later on, allong with a slicktop conversion and possibly this trim removal while i'm at it.
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
        X