Painting my turbines black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting my turbines black

So after painting the racoon eyes, I now want to paint the turbines black, leaving the aluminum lip unpainted, therefore i really see no need to remove the tires. I was planning on on preping it with a soft wire brush to remove all the grime in between the spokes and leave the lip as clean as possible.(i might use some fine sandpaper as well?) I also heard there may be something I can spray on to make the process easier, maybe brake parts cleaner?..your suggestions are appreciated..i hope to have it done by Sunday.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

I am not really sure about a spray of anykind. I did use some sort of wheel cleaner i had around when i just cleaned my turbines. But if you are scuffing everything up just clean it after you scuff. Regarding the lip...you can use a fine piece of sand paper (i have no idea of grit to recommend to you) but you would probably want to put a layer of clear over it to protect it?

Are you doing a flat black or a gloss black. If you are doing flat black it will be a pain to remask everything to clear the edge...but if you do gloss black you can clear everything in one shot.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

there is a wheel cleaner, designed specifically to clean the rims of cars
      What happened here?

Comment

brake cleaner will get the job done

if be intrested to maybe see black turbines but with the sides of the spokes still aluminum colored
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

just paint inside the fins, its easy, once you paint the rim, jus take a saturated rag of thinner and wipe the excess paint off from the rim lips and fin ends. you could also sand off the excess after drying as well. it will look factory but custom.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the thinner in a rag is a good idea i would be worried about runs though. But with sand paper it definitely can be accomplished and look great.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

hmmm..thanks 4 the ideas, im going gloss black 4 sure..i had thought about white 4 a while but then thought of the upkeep and changed my mind, but it does look nice. This is a 89 crown vic i saw 2 days ago on white turbines..

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

white doesnt look bad on that car, BUT you have a GMQ so you have the big black side moldings...the black turbines will look great. Cant wait to see how they come out.
                ~David~

Comment

I always wanted to take a set of turbines and paint the inside parts of the fins black, but leave the faces polished. I think it would look good body color too, but since my car is black.....

Dereck actually had this done to a set of turbines, it looks really good. Same sort of idea that was used on the '78 Diamond Jubilee Continentals. http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/di...3&location=CHA click on the closup of the turbine wheel and you'll see what I mean.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good point Dave, forgot about the moldings...and thanks 4 that pic gadget, i think thats the style imma go for.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS

Comment

Working...
                    X