'88-'91 Grand Marquis Body Side Molding Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88-'91 Grand Marquis Body Side Molding Removal

Can the '88-'91 M.G.M. body side molding be removed from the outside without disassembly of the door panels, etc. etc.?

How is it attached? It appears that at least on some places it's fastened on, but that might just be some sort of clips that are fastened on, then the molding attached to the clips.

I don't care of the molding is destroyed, but of course, I don't want to damage the sheet metal. Can it be done?

Thanks for any help and advice.

i am not sure, but i would imagine that you dont need to remove the door panels to remove the side molding. there may be acorn nuts at the edges of the door (10mm possibly) remove those if they are there and use the stud to push the molding out then grab the push up molding and pull. If there are clips holding it it will sound loud as you pull, but no biggie. Mind you i have no idea as to how they are fastened.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

1 nut and clips fastened to little rivet like things on the outside of the door. I grabbed mine and pulled real hard but I wasnt putting em back on.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If you slide the molding carefully away from the nutted/bolted end, you should be able to get it to a point where the molding's notches line up with the clips and you can remove it without damage.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks, guys I appreciate the input. Yep, I found out that on the doors, you remove a very small bolt at the back end of the molding, then you can push up on the molding while pulling the top edge away from the body, and that will remove the molding.

On the rear quarter panels, you have to remove the interior trunk lining, and there are four nuts on each side that hold the molding on. Simply remove these nuts and the molding comes off. The front molding forward of the front wheel well is the same thing, but only two nuts hold it on, which can be accessed from beneath the front fender.

The only way I was able to get the piece b/t the front wheel well and front door off was to just pull it until one of the clips broke. After I got it off, I still couldn't figure out how else I could have removed it. Same with the small piece of molding b/t the rear door and rear wheel well opening.

I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
          X