No announcement yet.

Help Me Decide what color to Paint my Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes,I know I could have saved a little dough by going with a 2 stage system,but I wasn't going for the cheap route in the first place,even though this is not gonna be a show car,just a DD,I still care about it enough to wanna do it the right way.

Not trying to be a prick to you or anything but,you need to study up on this subject more if you think that a 2 stage base/clear is gonna be more durable,and have more depth than a SS Acrylic Urethane Topcoated with Clear,it's just not gonna happen.Not even to mention the superior durability/shine of just the quality Acrylic SSU itself vs the Base,the base can't even touch it.

I am also considering the next few years,and the possibility of the clear flaking off,if I don't do it 100% correctly.If that does happen I'll still have the durable SSU Coat under it to fall back on,until I get to clear it again.Where if that same scenario was to happen with the base/clear,I would only have the Weaker "Base" to fall back on,and the Weather/Trees around this area would screw the bare base paint up pretty quickly,causing me to have to repaint some of the car again before I re-cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
      Ooooooooooooooo...

That's gonna look nice.
      Thanks mang,I'm hoping it will come out to my liking,I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's not gonna be easy,lol.

Comment

I will ask my teacher tomorrow. I am still new at this shit so I make mistakes.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

is it done yet?
          is it done yet?
          is it done yet?
          is it done yet?
          is it done yet?
          is it done yet?

sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Ok I finally was able to ask my instructor today about this. I was right. The single stage with clear over it is no more durable or deeper color wise then a 2 stage.

He said that it will be hard to get it right. First off the solvents don't flash out of the single stage as a base color. Most base colors are good to be cleared within 15-30 minutes. Most single stages you will have to let it sit overnight before it is safe to clear over them. If the solvents don't flash out your clear will pop off. So durability sake it is worse if you rush it and don't let the single stage cure.

Now he said in the old days when base/clear was popular and alot of the cars on the road still had single stage, most of the colors weren't availible in 2 stage. So they had to do what you are planning on. But they used additives in the clear and the single stage so they could put them on alittle faster then letting it sit, so they wouldn't react with each other. He suggested you should contact the paint company to see if they have any availible.

How much did you get? He said single stage is great for jambs, underhood, etc. but for the way you want to do it, you will be fighting it and he says to go and purchase the color for a 2 stage.

Now it looks like that color is metallic am I correct? So in single stage metallics you will be fighting the flakes from moving around, giving you patches with more fake in it then others.

Also with the single stage you have to put in on wet. 2 stage you put the color on with a medium wet coat so you have less chance of a run then on a single stage.

So this is what he told me and he has been painting for 35 years so I would take his advice. I would return it if you can and just get a base color then keep your clear.

I hope this helps, do what you want though.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Light blue...not that I'm biased or anything.

V V V V V
              Nick
              88 Colony Park LS
              G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
              Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Well,I've changed my mind,I'm going with Deep Wedgewood Blue now.

Zwack88 - Lately I've been talking to a few paint/body guys more experienced than myself and weighed the Benefits/Downsides to both types of paint,and I've decided to just go Base/Clear.Seems like I can probably avoid some hassle,and save some time,by going that route.

Anyways,I sprayed a test piece with the Gunmetal,and It came out too bright for what I want the car to look like.I'm going for more of a Stealth Look to the car,and Gunmetal is just gonna make the car stand out too much,which is not what I want.

So,I'm gonna be using the SSU Gunmetal to paint my friends 97 Mustang,hes buying the paint off me and paying me to paint the car,beautiful Pony Car BTW.

My 87 LTD is not gonna be a Show Car,so nothing has to be 100% Perfect.I'm confident my Panels are flat enough,and my Body is straight enough,to get good results with a High-Gloss Dark Color,so I'm going for it.

Comment

yes yes!
                  blue!
                  yes yes yes!
                  :banana:
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I think the blue is a really nice choice. You should be happy going with BC/CC. I did that to replace my original single stage that was on the car. The big benefits I'd say are you can work with it more such as color sanding out any sags, runs, nibs, and level any peel . Only thing I've noticed is people tend to go light on the clear is some spots like in the stone deflectors, and lower/rocker area.
                    sigpic
                    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87 View Post

Zwack88 - Lately I've been talking to a few paint/body guys more experienced than myself and weighed the Benefits/Downsides to both types of paint,and I've decided to just go Base/Clear.Seems like I can probably avoid some hassle,and save some time,by going that route.

Anyways,I sprayed a test piece with the Gunmetal,and It came out too bright for what I want the car to look like.I'm going for more of a Stealth Look to the car,and Gunmetal is just gonna make the car stand out too much,which is not what I want.

So,I'm gonna be using the SSU Gunmetal to paint my friends 97 Mustang,hes buying the paint off me and paying me to paint the car,beautiful Pony Car BTW.

My 87 LTD is not gonna be a Show Car,so nothing has to be 100% Perfect.I'm confident my Panels are flat enough,and my Body is straight enough,to get good results with a High-Gloss Dark Color,so I'm going for it.
                      Blue is teh shit!

Comment

good tech zach
                        i just ordered some single stage for my dads car, was wondering if the clear was worthwhile......i in no way expect this to be perfect it's a 18 year old plymouth lol
                        cheap paint is better than peeling paint and rust......i gotta get some good primer, hope i win the ebay aution for 2 gallons of sanding primer

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87 View Post

Good luck. I hope you like the Blue. Blue would've been my second choice!!! :P

Comment

Next to white of course

Comment

shit i got more white paint here than i know what to do with......imron and centari
                              ford white, gm white, fleet white, oxford white, equipment grey, schoolbus yellow....

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                                shit i got more white paint here than i know what to do with......imron and centari
                                ford white, gm white, fleet white, oxford white, equipment grey, schoolbus yellow....
                                Oxford White ....
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X