'79 bumper on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 bumper on

I put my '79 LTD bumper on the merk today. I kept the inner bumper from the '84 because it was rust free, but unfortunately it doesn't fit perfectly in the '79 bumper. You cant really tell unless you are under the car but about half the bolts dont line up between the inner and outer bumper. Its on there securely for sure but i want to eventually drill some holes in the inner bumper to fix that. I also need to find a new '79 style license plate holder, the one i had was trashed, and the newer ones dont work very good. Still didn't clean up the bumper, but its on. The plastic inserts arent in the bumper yet either. I need to relocate my fog lights now, either behind the grill with the other 2, maybe in the holes in the bumper, or just get rid of them. Here are some pics:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM. Reason: pic url update

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Sorry man, that looks like ass. Put your old one back on.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Ehhh....I don't think that I like it.

Comment

You need the old GM bumper that has the holes that line up with the grill.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I don't think it looks bad. Is it the angle or does that bumper tilt up?
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

i like it, but the plate would look better on the drivers side insted of the middle, but other then that i like it...

Comment

that doesnt look good caouse its missing the bumper guards and it doesnt line up with the grille.

my '79 bumper fit well cause i have an LTD and it had holes for the bumper guards:

LTD is still here

Comment

Hmm, I kind of like it. It's different . . . in a good way. Yes, move the plate to the side. I think you could do something creative with the holes in the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by boXman
                  Sorry man, that looks like ass. Put your old one back on.
                  +1

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

He can't move the tag without leaving a large dent for where the tag was made to go. Besides, that'd be ruining the '79 Magic .

I think it looks pretty decent.
                    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

needs a 79-82 gille then it will bring it out a bit!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I like it! Nice and smooth. 79-82 grille would make it better tho.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I dont like those early body parts myself, so my opinion probably doesn't count. Hey, its your car, if you like it, thats all that counts.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well i was looking at it in the daylight today and found that the damn thing tilts back, not by a lot but enough to look like crap from the side. I think it is due to the inner bumper from the '84 not lining up right. So i gues i will probably take it off next week and put the old one back on until i find a early marquis one in good shape. I'm going to keep the bumper around for when i get a wagon, if i get a country squire i will put it on that. The good news is it only set me back $20 and killed some time.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I like it, though!
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X