No announcement yet.

3G alternator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wimped out on the 3G swap. It's been too cold (low 30's) around here to work on the car. I dropped it off at the mechanic this afternoon. It should be done tomorrow.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I have a 90 town car alt with two fat yellow wires. Im gonna get it rebuilt to 130 amp by a local place. Will this give me the same results as you guys? I tore apart my harness to clean and redo where the seal let water in and started a little corrosion. I have a feeling this is where a lot of you guys have fire problems because without taking it apart you would never know there was corrosion.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I just dislike that plug. I'm sure it is a corrosion issue at the connector that makes them melt. Often new alts even come with that connector, but I'd still honestly prefer just a stud type connection like I have now. I'd also be really leery about pumping 130 amps through a connector like that which was designed for 65. The wiring across the header panel that the alt charges through is only like 12 or 10 ga wire. Its doubled, and might hold it, but I seriously doubt the fuse links would stand the abuse. The 100 amp external regulated alts that were on police and limo package cars don't have that plug, nor does any other high capacity alternator that I'm familier with. Must be a reason for it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm, never thought of it like that, but Im gonna run bigger wiring for it. We'll see what happens.

Comment

4 to 8 ga wire with a 200-amp fuse.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

The GM is done. I'm picking it up in the morning.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Not sure if this is worth anything but the pulley off of a newer 4.6 alt is smaller than the regular 302 alts. If you swapped em it would be kind of like a small underdrive. Don't know if it would be enough of a gain.

Comment

My mechanic used the pulley off of the old 2G alt. I thought it was the other way around, smaller crank pulley, larger alternator pulley? I might be wrong.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

If you decrease the size of the crank pulley and increase that of the alternator you're just slowing it down, something you generally don't wanna do unless you constanly run your engine in the high-rpm range. By the way there is a thin washer behind the pulley on the 2G alternator, when installing that pulley on the 3G alternator you'll need that washer too, otherwise the pulley touches the case even before you've tightened the nut all the way down - just something to keep in mind when doing swaps

Comment

Working...
                    X