• Show
Clear All

AC Condenser leaking?

Does this indicate a leak?

1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Yeah. The oil is leaking and dirt is holding onto it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Replace condenser? Is that a diy type thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nvm. I did some research and can see its not as easy as pull and replace. Thanks for confirming the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It does not hurt to get a second opinion on things but it looks typical for a leak.

Doing the job depends on how big of a diyer you are. Special tool and procedures should be used/followed. You could get by but it wont be "right" or done "right."
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

physically speaking its easy. Pull the radiator, unhook the 2 lines and 2 more screws to pull the condensor. The only trick is the evacuation and recharge of the AC system. If you don't know anything about AC work and don't feel like buying a vacuum pump and a set of gauges, shop that job out.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still, do the actual replacement yourself - the A/C shop will likely charge you quite a bit higher for the condenser itself over what you'll pay at the parts store, then you'll get the labor bill to install the thing, and in the end you'll still be paying for the evac and refill. So do the dirty work on your own and save a few hundred there, and then just have the shop recharge the system for you.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Not a bad idea. Just fyi the longer you leave the system open the more moisture is absorbed. So you may want to change the dryer at the same time and not leave any connections open longer then necessary.

There is a specific amount of oil that is to be added back to the system for each specific part you change in addition to the oil lost when the gas is removed. These amounts are in the service manual.

You can let the service tech know how much oil to add. And hope they listen.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Any time the system is opened the drier should be changed. I also like to change any O rings at any connection that gets disconnected. Once those things are disturbed they are inclined to leak. Lightly wipe them with refrigeration oil before re-connecting.

You could also add the oil yourself.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is true, you could just pour it in the condenser before you install it.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thain - where do you get your o rings and what sizes would be common on my 90?
                      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I noticed it on the car when I picked it up. No telling how long it had been that way. It blows cold but it gets noticeably warmer when it's not moving. I'll buy as many parts and do as much labor as possible and then have someone vacuum and fill. Wouldn't this car use R12?

Here's the parts list so far.

Condenser
                        A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator
                        A/C Line O-Ring
                        Mineral Oil

Comment

Can't say for certain but most cars have been converted to R134 by now. If it has not that is the way you want to go.

It has been so long... Do the fittings get adapters to go from 12 to 134?
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                            Do the fittings get adapters to go from 12 to 134?
                            Yes.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Normally if the system is converted the fittings are the new larger fittings. That is one way to tell.

Google pics of r134 low side and r12 low side fittings, you will be able to see the difference.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X