Newer style starter upgrade and fender solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
    That's a pretty clean lookin' engine bay I must say. Also is that a fuel injected 351W with Lightning intakes? I'm sure I could figure it out and work those wires into a fuse box, but it would be work. I'll have to think about it lol.
    Just an ittie bittie 302 with the lightning upper bits.

Go for the fuse box swap. It takes time and some planning (notes etc) but cleans things up nicely.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This weekend I installed a new Carquest PROFESSIONAL (yeah right...) 91'+ style starter and wired it up. The first time I went to crank it IT STILL STUCK and kept on cranking over even with the key released. So I tapped on the fender relay and drove to Advance Auto and bought their "HD" relay by BWD Ignition parts. Installed it in the parking lot and that fixed it. So for now everything is working once again. Jeese man this whole dang car has new parts, I don't think anything but the wiring harness itself is original anymore XD
      Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 06-19-2016, 11:26 PM.
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

'91+ model year for what application tho? Gonna need one very soon (like tomorrow soon), this ancient thing now gets heat-soaked something fierce after driving the car for like an hour, almost left me stranded today actually...

And no surprise on the starter solenoid on the fender failing you, 86Vicky went thru that exact same ordeal few months back IIRC. The solution he came up with was IIRC a glowplugs relay for '88-'93 diesel engines, thing looks and fits just like your factory Panther part but it's much more heavy-duty inside (at least it's supposed to be) ans thus it's much less susceptible to welding itself closed at the power levels the Panther starter pulls.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          '91+ model year for what application tho? Gonna need one very soon (like tomorrow soon), this ancient thing now gets heat-soaked something fierce after driving the car for like an hour, almost left me stranded today actually...

And no surprise on the starter solenoid on the fender failing you, 86Vicky went thru that exact same ordeal few months back IIRC. The solution he came up with was IIRC a glowplugs relay for '88-'93 diesel engines, thing looks and fits just like your factory Panther part but it's much more heavy-duty inside (at least it's supposed to be) ans thus it's much less susceptible to welding itself closed at the power levels the Panther starter pulls.
          1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 5.0L is what I used thru CARQUEST. Part # 3205SN. Put about 200 miles on the car since the new starter and BWD HD Relay # S5049HD and all is well.
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I think all of the 91+ 5.0 starters are about the same. The Mark VII has the same one a 91 Vic would have.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah got one for a '91 Grand Marquis 302, spins crazy fast. Stupid question tho, does yours make a funny sound for like a second after releasing the key?
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

You have my only car with one of those starters installed. You tell me I don't recall funny noises though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ugh, not you, the other dude. lol

Comment

Yes, the 91 replacement starter freewheels a little after you let go of the key. Takes some getting used to.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh, ok, I can sleep somewhat better now knowing the thing ain't about to do something stupid.

Comment

mine seems to take a bit longer to start too

Comment

Working...
                        X