Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over charging battery and AMP light comes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over charging battery and AMP light comes on.

This is a weird spot i'm put in. Now today i took her out for a drive but i had to jump her because the battery died, went for a good 15 minute drive to a friends house and when i tried to start it nothing.... I had to ask for a jump and it started right up no problem, but the amp light came on and i assumed that i needed to replace the battery. I drove her home and with the amp light still on i took a voltage meter to the battery and it was actually charging at 15 volts. I'm very puzzled as what i should do now. I also checked to see if the battery was holding a charge after i shut it off for a couple of minutes and it held up at 12 volts. I'm starting to think that the starter solenoid is going bad because i'm it wont start when i use the key, but if press a screwdriver against where the ignition wire plugs on to the post and then the where the positive cable attaches to the solenoid then it'll start up without a problem.
    Proud owner of a 1989 Crown Victoria LX LTD
    • Restored The Car Back To Running Conidition
    • Has a very well respected and cared for 107K miles on the odometer
    • Rebuilt 4 speed AOD Transmission *Original Trans Still in Car*
    • Rebuilt Front End with New Hub Assembly
    • 3rd Owner (Car has been in the family since 91)
    • They don't make cars like this anymore so it will be a definite keeper!

AMP light is for alternator issue. Should be 14.4V max. Check the yellow wire from the alternator to the battery. If that's got corrosion issues at the harnesses between the alternator and battery, it may have issues charging properly. (that's the sense wire that helps the regulator figure out what voltage to charge at)

The regulator may also be toast anyhow so expect to need a new regulator and possibly a new alternator. Though if you haven't done the 3G swap and still have the old 2G, check the wire harness ON the alternator and make sure it's not burned up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1 good excuse to do the 3G upgrade, especially if you end up replacing the alternator anyways.

If not, I do have a good 2G alternator I briefly used on my car before doing the swap. It looks brand new

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Check the small terminal on the starter relay. if its dirty or loose, you'll get no-crank for no obvious reason.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check all your cable terminals and wire connections in the starter/power distribution and charging circuits.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I'm just going to do the 3g conversion since I've been reading up on how to get it done. It seems like a better choice than to keep the old 2g fire prone alternator. And now it wont start from the ignition switch at all so I have to do some more trouble shooting on that as well
            Proud owner of a 1989 Crown Victoria LX LTD
            • Restored The Car Back To Running Conidition
            • Has a very well respected and cared for 107K miles on the odometer
            • Rebuilt 4 speed AOD Transmission *Original Trans Still in Car*
            • Rebuilt Front End with New Hub Assembly
            • 3rd Owner (Car has been in the family since 91)
            • They don't make cars like this anymore so it will be a definite keeper!

Comment

Working...
            X