Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering problem or alternator problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering problem or alternator problem?

First of all, I'm sorry for bombarding you guys with new threads. You're just the only reliable source of information out there.

I just got home and while I was looking for problems with the suspension, I noticed something else.

Whenever I turn the steering wheel, the engine loses power and everything in the car gets dimmer. Turn it back to neutral and the engine perks up again. I've also noticed this going around corners. The engine goes bleh whenever the steering is doing its thing. It's really weird.

I've already replaced the pump once, since the one it had was making NYAAAAH sounds. This one sounds the same as my mom's Durango did. It's off a Crown Vic with 65k miles.

So, is this a problem with the power steering pump itself or with the 2G alternator being inadequate?

And if it is the pump, where can I get a new one that doesn't suck several magnitudes of ass? The only ones I can find are A1 Cardone and the Internet is clearly not happy with them.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

did you check to see if the belt is a little loose?...

Comment

Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
      did you check to see if the belt is a little loose?...
      +1. As is often said, look for the easy stuff first!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Depends on what constitutes as "a little loose" in the automotive world. Seems perfectly fine to me, but that means precisely nothing.
        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

does it scream when you start the engine? That would indicate the belt is loose. If its in bad shape, it may be slipping too. Look for cracks or missing ribs and other things that seem obviously not right.

The stock alternator has pretty dismal low speed output, and it is normal for the PS pump to load the motor down a bit. Possible what you see is normal. Might be worth changing the PS fluid out just to help it a teeny bit, but as long as its not stalling I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. When the alternator dies (and it will), upgrade it to the later type 130 amp and the light dimming thing should go away. The motor is still going to load down from the power steering though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Manuals have "specs" as to how much belt deflection is ok.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              does it scream when you start the engine? That would indicate the belt is loose. If its in bad shape, it may be slipping too. Look for cracks or missing ribs and other things that seem obviously not right.

The stock alternator has pretty dismal low speed output, and it is normal for the PS pump to load the motor down a bit. Possible what you see is normal. Might be worth changing the PS fluid out just to help it a teeny bit, but as long as its not stalling I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. When the alternator dies (and it will), upgrade it to the later type 130 amp and the light dimming thing should go away. The motor is still going to load down from the power steering though.
              The belt's less than a year old. The -other- belt has a few cracks, though. It starts beautifully, just as it always has. I agree the fliud could certainly use an improvement, considering what's in there was bought on short notice from the dollar store.

Thank you.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                ... Whenever I turn the steering wheel, the engine loses power and everything in the car gets dimmer. Turn it back to neutral and the engine perks up again. I've also noticed this going around corners. The engine goes bleh whenever the steering is doing its thing. It's really weird.

I've already replaced the pump once, since the one it had was making NYAAAAH sounds. This one sounds the same as my mom's Durango did. It's off a Crown Vic with 65k miles.

So, is this a problem with the power steering pump itself or with the 2G alternator being inadequate? ...
                I did a write-up recently about changing power steering fluid. Here's the link in case it might be useful: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...Steering-Fluid

I had changed my Pitman arm and idler arm recently, and they were in pretty bad shape. I myself had rare occasions when my car would stall with the steering turned a certain amount when backing out of my driveway, and maybe on one or two other occasions. I wonder if you might have steering components that are seizing and putting too much strain on the system.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If the IAC is 'stuck' in its happy place of no-stress idle, it might not be able to change the idle fast enough (or at all) under load conditions like full-lock steering or when the A/C compressor kicks on.

You could try cleaning it out or replacing it, or give it a few whacks with something not-too-big and see if it changes.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    If the IAC is 'stuck' in its happy place of no-stress idle, it might not be able to change the idle fast enough (or at all) under load conditions like full-lock steering or when the A/C compressor kicks on.

You could try cleaning it out or replacing it, or give it a few whacks with something not-too-big and see if it changes.
                    Ah, that would explain why it sputters once when it's trying to idle... I'll get that cleaned soon.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                      I did a write-up recently about changing power steering fluid. Here's the link in case it might be useful: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...Steering-Fluid

I had changed my Pitman arm and idler arm recently, and they were in pretty bad shape. I myself had rare occasions when my car would stall with the steering turned a certain amount when backing out of my driveway, and maybe on one or two other occasions. I wonder if you might have steering components that are seizing and putting too much strain on the system.
                      I'll check on that. Might as well replace them while I'm doing the suspension.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                      X