Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raintracker

Dear Panthers,
    Brandon, who some of you met at Scotfest, is installing a rain sensing windshield wiper control and has a question.

alright guys, i have found the wiring for the windshield wipers, and have found the power wires, but i need to know which wires control each wiper speed. i have two diagrams for the unit, one is hot side switching and the other is ground side switching...i believe i need the hot side??... i may be wrong though.

For which vehicle are we talking here? Your 89 CP ?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep. 89 cp

Comment

Rainsense wipers in a box? Epic.
        I had then on my 09 Genesis, they are quite a nice feature.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

ok, finally out in the shop and remembered to dig out my EVTM.

Looks like the wiper motor is common positive. The high and low speed switch changes which connection the ground feeds to. The 86 book tells me the orange one is low speed, and the white one is high speed. Common positive should be yellow/red. The dark green and red wires are related to the parking cam setup.

The 89 motor I know has different plugs than an 86. Possible your wire colors are not the same. Hopefully someone with an 89 manual can confirm. I also know its possible to put a later model motor in the earlier cars with some adapter plug harness, so I would presume that means the switching arrangement is the same.

**edit** the 91 Mark VII book agrees on the wire colors, but that uses a rather different control rig than the panthers use.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks. See you at SF.

Donald

Comment

I can check through my '89 EVTM if you still need it.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
              2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
              2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

check it anyway just to make sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can't find my books, darn.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll do that once I'm off from work

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0125.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1275904 I also have a pdf version I can send. From '89 Town Car EVTM

Comment

yup... the consensus is low side control, high side common power.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

ok after looking over the diagram, i have some of the same colored wires but not all...i have 8 wires...org..blu/wh..blu/pk..blk/wh..grn..brn/wh..blk..wh....this is what im looking at..Click image for larger version

Name:	20140710_164437.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1275911 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140710_164454.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1275912 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140710_164533.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1275913 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140710_164644.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1275914 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140710_164956.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1275915 the last one is the diagram for the unit.

Comment

you may have to ring out which wires go to the motor and to the washer pump as the wiring diagram has two bk/wh marked. I would ring out all the wires to see where which one goes and verify which is which. Ford (along with everyone else) was notorious for typos and wrong markings in the manuals.

If they are actually correct though... here's what I have

wires...

org.. Wiper on/off

blu/wh.. Interval adjust

blu/pk.. ??? maybe blu/org - Motor low

blk/wh.. WASHER PUMP or Park control

grn.. BATT+

brn/wh.. ???

blk.. Gound

wh.. Motor high

Comment

Do you have the diagram for ground side switching? The posted one is for hot side switching, which is not what your car runs.

Also I'm assuming you are looking at the plug under the dash that connects to the wiper governer?

WHat would really help is a scan of the 89 Vic/GM EVTM. Towncars can be different enough to confuse the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X