Cruise Cannister Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Cannister Diagnosis

I just put in a junkyard cruise ball...and I cant get cruise to work! I have a sefi swapped 85 wagon and the 89 cruise ball I put in with the swap worked but surged a lot. So I took advice here and put in a cruise canister from an 86...but it doesn't work at all now. How do I diagnose this thing? It has source vacuum from the engine and doesn't appear to be leaking as engine vacuum doesn't change when it's hooked up vs vacuum line plugged....and the cable isn't binding that I can tell...beyond that...I don't know? I hate to look at other parts of the cruise system as nothing else changed.

Any ideas? thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

pull the cable off the cruise ball. Should be 2 nuts to detatch it. Make sure it isn't broken. if the cable or the piece it hooks to right inside the cruise servo are damaged, you'll get nothing. If you have the original 85 cruise servo, you can re-install that with the later cable and see if that fixes the issue.

Surging cruise is often a leak at the vacuum dump valve above the brake pedal. I had that problem with my Mark VII, and sealing that off fixed it. Can't get the dump valve anymore, so its basically SOL on fixing it properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't use my CC much but if I remember correctly, if I set it at, say 70 it will drop a few and then come back up like it is searching for the correct speed. Probably that dump valve.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

if you hold the set button until the pedal starts to move away from your foot, you don't have the drop a few issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

slack in the cable will do that too. The leaky dump valve will make the speed go up and down on flat road. if you've got a light foot, you can feel the pedal creeping out as it leaks and then being sucked back down as the system compensates. Depending on how bad the leak is, the more rapidly that happens. Its quite irritating.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            pull the cable off the cruise ball. Should be 2 nuts to detatch it. Make sure it isn't broken. if the cable or the piece it hooks to right inside the cruise servo are damaged, you'll get nothing. If you have the original 85 cruise servo, you can re-install that with the later cable and see if that fixes the issue.

Surging cruise is often a leak at the vacuum dump valve above the brake pedal. I had that problem with my Mark VII, and sealing that off fixed it. Can't get the dump valve anymore, so its basically SOL on fixing it properly.
            thanks for the replys gents. I will check the cable and cable mount inside the ball before replacing it...I suspect that may be it as nothing else seems logical unless I had another failure in the system at the same time I changed the ball out
            1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Working...
            X