Odd noise and heat blowing weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd noise and heat blowing weak

This morning on the way to work I turned my defrosters on as usual and after the 30 minute drive to work, only a tiny section of my windshield was clear. It was doing the same on the way home, so I turned the defrost all the way up and put my hand up to it and felt it blowing barely any air. Then, I switched it to the vents to see how the air flow was there, and they blew just fine but also now made an outrageously annoying whistling noise. What in the world is going on!?
    1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
    1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

sounds like one of the vent actuators is either disconnected (hose fell off) or went bad or the control head that sends vacuum to the right spot is having issues. the actuators are located behind the ash tray.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can I just yank the ash tray to check this, or will I have to do some destructive dash remodeling?
      1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

no... it's actually fully behind the ash tray mount structure. You have to remove the carpeted dash covers (above the pedals) if you have them to see the actuators.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Oh boy. Well at least it's supposed to be 40 degrees next week
          1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

also, check the fluid level. If the coolant isn't topped up, you'll get weak heat too, but it'll still cool the engine.

Comment

Working...
            X