Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flying wiper

Dear Panther,

This morning, about 4, coming down I81, the passenger side wiper arm disconnected from the wiper transmission and flew into the driver's side wiper, locking it. So - I pulls over, detaches and goes on my way with one wiper. This is the third time this has happened. It stays on the stud unless I hit heavy rain then, after a while, it flies off which is disconcerting. Is it likely the tranny or the arm?

Donald

there should be a clip on the base of the wiper that holds it to the stud that drives it. I had to use my rubber mallet to persuade the new arms down enough to catch on the vic when I replaced the old rusted arms. That may be your issue, the arm just not seated down far enough to catch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wonder if the clip isn't loose and flopping open. Can't quite remember for sure but I want to say there is a spring that holds the clip closed, or maybe its just a friction fit with a rivet to keep it from flopping around. The springs on the wiper arm also put some bias on the arm so its not inclined to pop off the transmission. If the springs are weak, it might not hold real well. You'd possibly also notice it doesn't clear the glass very well or maybe the blade chatters from not enough tension.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wiper arm

I just had to replace the driver's side wiper arm yesterday. On mine, the spring was weak and not wiping the windshield very good.O'reilly auto parts doesn't have them on the shelf, but it's a next day part from the wharehouse.

Comment

Working...
        X