Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Trip Computer Tripminder

Hi,

The computer had been working fine except for needing periodic button cleaning. Recently the computed fuel economy has been off. The distance traveled is fine but the average consumed fuel off. It is using between 12 and 18% more fuel than is indicated.

Since my fuel gauge is not functional I got caught short and ran out of gas a couple of times before I realized that the computer is not accurate.

I ran the self test. The fuel consumption rate increased with engine RPM.

How does the computer actually determine the fuel consumption? Does it measure the open time on fuel injectors?

Any ideas?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

It relies on the fuel flow output signal from the ECM. Exactly what that wire has on it I do not know. My guess would be its a variable frequency pulse thats related to injector duty cycle but I might be wrong on that. Seems that the tripminder is a bit optimistic with HO motors. Not sure if the output from the HO ECM is a little different from the non-HO or what.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was right on for about a year, lately it is reading lower than actual usage.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Bump this thread.

I replaced the tripminder with another 89 unit.

I get the same inaccurate fuel consumption readings.

Any input?
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

there is an adjustment under one of the stickers on the side. NFC what it adjusts, but maybe its the fuel usage calibration or something. Maybe mark where it currently is and turn it a bit one way or the other to see if anything changes.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hot dam, will check that out.
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Just maybe you are actually getting worse fuel mileage if two units report the same.

Alex.

Comment

The car is getting worse fuel mileage but the tripminder, both of them, reports an incorrect amount of gas used. It counts short saying e.g. 10 gallons used when I really used 12. So when it calculates the MPG it divides the distance by 10 instead of 12.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

It doesn't calculate MPG by gallons used, it calculates gallons used by MPG. If the MPG is off, the usage will be off too.

Comment

I know in a MAF system it has a lot to do with the MAF air flow chart if its off because off mods so is the Trip Minder. The speed density chart being out of wack because of mods would probably through it out too. Other inputs are involed with the math the ECM uses to caculate MPG. Most common is improper gearing of the driven gear for the speedo for rear gear ratios and tire dia.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

So it does not monitor fuel consumption?
                      The ECM calculates fuel economy?

The car is still speed density. The gear ratios are all good as they are all stock ratio. I have not made any mods since the minders had been checked out consistently as being in sych with the speedo and actual gallons consumed.

If there is some text on this and you know where it is please point me there. I have done some google time on it without any pertinent findings.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                      X