Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer/trip counter stopped turning

Hello,

A few weeks back my odo and my trip counter stopped functioning. The speedo, gas, and H/C gauges all still work fine so I'm hoping its an easy fix. I thought it would be best to get it taken care of before getting the new cluster put in, I have a guy who will do it for me cheap.

Any help appreciated! I don't really even know where to start with this one >.<
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

The gear sets are stripped. Got to remove cluster and replace. There are several online dealers that provide the sets and they are SUPPOSED to be of better quality than OEM. Can't sware to that, however!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

^Yep, just need to replace those gears in the cluster to get it working, already had to do this on my 91 MGM, it's really not hard to do.

Check this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...comman-problem

and the link posted in the thread: http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/ford.html

I ended up getting mine from ebay for about $66 iirc.

Edit: these are the ones that I got back in early November: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300669167010...84.m1423.l2649

One set for ODO and one set for Trip ODO.

If you look around, maybe you can find cheaper but these were the cheapest I could find at the time.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yes, make sure to buy all 4 gears or you'll be in there again.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          Yes, make sure to buy all 4 gears or you'll be in there again.
          +1 - GREAT advice!! Odometer and Trip are two distinct gear sets. I think that site has them, as a set (4 gears in total) for $85??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! I think the guy wiring my new cluster though is going to set it all up electronically, so I'm not sure if the gears will still be needed. I'll ask him
            1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              +1 - GREAT advice!! Odometer and Trip are two distinct gear sets. I think that site has them, as a set (4 gears in total) for $85??
              No difference between the 2 sets, I ordered 2 sets and got both done at once.

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
              Thanks guys I really appreciate it! I think the guy wiring my new cluster though is going to set it all up electronically, so I'm not sure if the gears will still be needed. I'll ask him
              Putting a custom cluster in? Ether way I would think with getting a new cluster it would be moot point to get the original fixed.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Sorry - didn't mean to insinuate they are different - just that there are two sets required if you wish to be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  Sorry - didn't mean to insinuate they are different - just that there are two sets required if you wish to be complete.
                  Haha, I'm just a bit slow sometimes, I see what you mean now.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hmm, if I was to replace the gears and stay with the stock setup I would definitely replace it with a PI speedo while I'm in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
                      Hmm, if I was to replace the gears and stay with the stock setup I would definitely replace it with a PI speedo while I'm in there.
                      There is one on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-LTD-Cro...544053&vxp=mtr

If I had the cash and/or any real need for it it wouldn't still be there.
                      I believe the PI cluster has the same gears so if they haven't been replaced it could be just a matter of time before they go bad on the PI cluster as well.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Oh wow... That's very tempting. If I'm going into the dash anyways I might as well. The cluster guy hasn't gotten back to me yet so if he flakes out I might get that.

I also have another question related the the cluster... With my tree shifter to put it into different gears like D, N, OD etc. I kind of have to play around with the tree because it has a bit of play from use I'm sure. It's particularly hard to go between D and OD. Is this a problem that could be fixed alongside going into the dash?

Comment

Possibly, while you're in there get new bushings for the shift tube (http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post683824)

Got mine from ebay for $3.49 each. Even though the picture in that ad shows 2 iirc I'm pretty sure I had to order 2 for total of $6.98 figuring if I ended up with 4 total I would have spares.

As far as the shifter issue, those bushings alone may not fix the shifter issue. I haven't seen it myself but apparently the shift tube on the steering column likes to crack on these cars, check it while you're in there. Or the bracket that the shift cable attaches to at the base of the steering column has some torx screws that are known to come loose, just need some thread lock on em. Or it could be the shift cable that goes from that bracket to the trans may have issues, but those are $100+ from what I have seen so far.

Getting into the shifter would require removing the key cylinder to get the shrouds off of the steering column, then 4 13mm nuts (at least one required a deep-well socket) under the column to drop the steering column, I don't remember if I needed to remove the steering column shrouds or not to get at the cluster. I think it can be done without removing the top shroud but iirc it makes it easier to get into the dash with it removed.
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thank you for the detailed information! When I get in there I'll go ahead and check out the different components you listed and report back. I'll go ahead and replace the bushings because they are cheap and I'll already be in there.

So it looks like my cluster guy has crapped out on me and I am better off taking care of it myself. I'd be happy with the PI speedo and just adding clusters around the dash. Are they really that rare and worth $140? I don't think I've specifically seen any PI's in the junkyard. Also, is the 91PI speedo an exact swap?

Comment

Yes, it's a direct swap, and they are not that rare, they pop up here from time to time for a lot less then that.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X