No announcement yet.

Odometer/trip counter stopped turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its ironic because I was just reading a thread here; http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...do-max-85-swap
    where you make it sound very rare, but perhaps you're referring to a different speedo?

edit: Agh nevermind, I forgot the speedo's change design lol. I guess I'll just head to the junkyard and look around for some pi speedo's, they've got to have a few.

Also the tripometer and odometer take two separate gears right? If I understand correctly this here;

is a set of gears for only the odometer and the speedometer. That still leaves the tripometer and pantera said there is four, so that leaves one more?
    Last edited by Stealthlead; 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM.
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
      Also the tripometer and odometer take two separate gears right? If I understand correctly this here;

is a set of gears for only the odometer and the speedometer. That still leaves the tripometer and pantera said there is four, so that leaves one more?
      Order 2 of those sets, they are the same for each side, that's what were were talking about above:

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      Sorry - didn't mean to insinuate they are different - just that there are two sets required if you wish to be complete.
      Haha, I'm just a bit slow sometimes, I see what you mean now.
      The odometer uses one drive gear and one worm gear, and the "tipometer" uses the exact same drive gear and exact same worm gear as the odometer. So order one set for odometer and a second identical set for the "tripometer" and you will be all set with all 4 gears needed.

Also mentioned for option2 on this page: http://www.odometergears.com/product...rquis+90-97/60.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-03-2013, 11:20 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
        Its ironic because I was just reading a thread here; http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...do-max-85-swap
        where you make it sound very rare, but perhaps you're referring to a different speedo?

edit: Agh nevermind, I forgot the speedo's change design lol. I guess I'll just head to the junkyard and look around for some pi speedo's, they've got to have a few.

The 140mph Grand Marquis speedo is literally probably the rarest box part period. Crown Vic ones aren't common exactly, but I wouldn't call them rare.

Yes, the odometer has 2 gears, and the tripometer has 2 gears, making 4 total.

Someday I was planning on making a speedo gear write up, here's a bunch of pics if it helps.
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Makes so much more sense! I was wondering if they were interchangeable and that's what you meant, and it was. The pictures are VERY helpful, please keep them up as I plan to do this!
          1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Well I finally went to the 'premier' junkyard that is supposed to have the best selection. They had three GM's (and no CV's)- one totally gutted, the other two harshly treated and about 50% gutted. They had about 10 whales and nothing close to a PI. I went to about three other shops on the junkyard street and didn't even get as close as to find a GM.

Looks like its going to be harder than I thought to find a PI speedo...

Comment

I ended up buying a 91 CVPI speedo from one of the members here. I just got it in the mail and finished replacing the gears (I enjoyed it actually). Damn am I glad I did -

comparison of old and new.

Comment

Yep, that's about what mine looked like when I replace them. I see you did it right and got the cotton swabs out to make sure to get all the little pieces.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Alright I have a quick question... When I drive there is a clicking coming from the new cluster/gears and gets faster as I speed up/ slower as I slow down. What would be causing this? Both the tripometer and odometer are working but I'm thinking either one of the gears are in wrong or its breaking itself in ...

Comment

check the driving gear to make sure you got all the crapped bits of the old gears out. Probably a tiny bit left in there somewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Shouldn't be any clicking, like Sly says check for any missed little pieces of old gears, otherwise could it possibly be the motor(s) that drive the odo/trip meter? I'm not sure if the motor is the same on the 85MPH cluster and the 140MPH cluster. If they are the same and the problem seems to be one of those little motors you could just swap motors. I don't think this is really what is happening but it is still a possibility.
                      If it is possible to apply an acceptable voltage with a power supply to the motors, you might be able to run them to see if you can identify the clicking easier with the cluster apart.
                      Actually, if you have a safe place to do so, you could have the cluster apart and drive around and then may be able to identify the source of the sound.

Can you tell if it sounds like it is coming from the left or right side or both? Perhaps trying to identify this might be easier if the car has at least the rear wheels off the ground so that you can focus on the sound rather than the sound and driving.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hey guys, so the cluster is in and it looks good, but a few problems arose from this installation. First of all, my E-brake light no longer functions where it did with the old cluster I believe. We tried different bulbs and LED's, pretty sure its something with the new cluster.

Next problem is that with the original board in the CVPI cluster (the board with a tab that can be easily pulled out on the bottom right of the cluster) it wouldn't read my gas level and says its empty. The Odometer worked with the CVPI board, however. I took apart the CVPI cluster to inspect the ticking and the gears are very well placed and everything was cleaned out. I went ahead and switched the board to my original GM cluster. The gas level now reads, but the Ododmeter stopped reading. The tripometer is working. However with both boards the E brake does not function, where as I believe it did with the old cluster.

The tripometer is working fine and not making the ticking sound. I'm sure its the odometer. The odometer has a six digit counter now as it was installed by the buyer and I'm thinking it might be because its a new counter. Now it doesn't work at all though :\

And also my reverse lights are on when I'm in park now. In addition to this its becoming harder and harder to pull into drive where I usually accidentally go into reverse, something is messed up with the shifter. I've tried adjusting the black piece on the cable as well. Doesn't do a whole lot.
                        Last edited by Stealthlead; 07-22-2013, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I got so frustrated rebuilding mine that once I took it out for the forth time, I just let it be. My gas gauge does not now work, my high beam indicator does not work and my speed does not want to calibrate ( shows 7 mph slower than the actual speed). The odometer and speedometer now work. Wish someone here could help in fixing this thing. I wish I never touched it !!
                          You might try adjusting the shift collar(the white piece connected to the cable) It seems to have broke. You may have to get another one from Ford (hard to find) or use a hose clamp to keep it in place.

Comment

sounds like you may have to result to tracing traces and making pinout conversion charts and moving wires in the harnesses to compensate.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              ...You might try adjusting the shift collar(the white piece connected to the cable) It seems to have broke. You may have to get another one from Ford (hard to find) or use a hose clamp to keep it in place.
                              I might be wrong, but if you're talking about what I think you are, that's only on the 89-, 90+ are much different.

As far as the shift problem, could be the shift cable from the trans to the bottom of the shift column. My 91 only shifts through P RN(OD) but not D or 1. I still haven't replaced the cable yet since they are kind of expensive. Other things to check for would be the torx bolts that hold the shift cable bracket to the bottom of the steering column tend to come loose, and the shift tube has been known to crack on these steering columns (I don't have good details on this since I've not seen this happen).

Check my thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=Shift+cable if it is behaving like mine it's probably the shift cable from the trans to the steering column. Although it does seem weird that your cable would coincidentally go bad after only replacing the cluster.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You are right regarding the 90-91 being different. I got my cars mixed up again.

Comment

Working...
                                X