Odometer/trip counter stopped turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    sounds like you may have to result to tracing traces and making pinout conversion charts and moving wires in the harnesses to compensate.
    Or someone may have had this installed in a 92-94 grand marquis, from what I have read on line you can use the 90-91 cvpi cluster in say a 94 grand marquis but you have to switch the circuit on the back, the plastic with the copper lines in it.
    Since he also mentioned that there is a 6 digit odo, it may be possible that someone swapped this into a newer grand marquis and may just need the original circuit off the back of the 85MPH unit.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I did the work the day before I left to move to Colorado, so it was pretty much it for now. At least the speedo, trip, and gas are working so I can at least track my mileage, and of course its vital on a 500 mile trip to know the gas level. It looks awesome too -

As for the elusive problem's- the seller has so kindly decided to send me a tested CVPI chip, backing and odo to help narrow down the problems. When I'm back there again I'll take a few pictures of the wiring, harness and rear of the speedo to help narrow it down. It may be an 'oddball' 91 GM, but I'm very confident its the exact same as any other GM. Obviously there has not been any other work done in this area or performance work either, I'm the only one to access the rear of the speedo.

As for the shift collar, I think you might be referring to the black wheel/nub that adjusts exactly where the shifter arrow points. Its located on the shifting cable between where it connects to the cluster and where it connects to the shifting bracket on the lower right side of my column. It does just that and tweeks it left and right 1-6mm ish. The problem with the shifting apparently lies within the two bolts on the bottom of the steering column that (over time) get loose, as the seller informed me. I'll tighten these up and of course take a few shots of the underside.

I'll be driving the car up most likely on Saturday and hopefully get some work in on Monday or next week.
      1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

Looks nice, not all dim and hard to see like the stock lighting.
        As far as the backing or the plastic with the copper circuit in it on the back of the cluster, there should be a part# on it somewhere and if it begins with F0 or F1 it is a 90-91 part. If the part# on it begins with F2, F3, or F4 it is a 92-94 part, which could explain some of the issues.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
        X