Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Content with keeping a stock radio until...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, because the CD players don't use it. No jumper plug in that spot at all. Its tapped in somewhere else in mine. The tape players with the CD changer controls are easier to do that with because of the plug.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still without the jumper thain that radio wont get sound this is on the tape decks. The cd player units dont need it. Speaking about the cd player i have a working rare JBL 90's Mark VII CD Player if anyone wants i will sell to them.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I went to the junkyard and found a 1988-89-90 lincoln continental that had the same radio as mine. Iwas going to get it but between having no time and noticing the mounting hardware was diff i didn't get it. Even if you fabbed some stuff to modify it, would it still work?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yes. The radios electrically are interchangable, only the mounting bits are different.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

guess its worth checking out for now

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Hey all,

Thought I would chime in here on the subject of these radios.

It is true that SOME of these AM/FM/Cassette radios have the additional circuitry to interface with either a factory external single CD player, or a factory CD Changer with the wired remote. If you install the version that is designed for CD, you must either have a functional CD player/changer plugged into the top square connector socket (6-pin) OR have the "Jumper Plug" inserted to get any audio out of the unit. (even from radio or tape) FYI, these particular CD capable cassette radios cannot control the CD players directly, they only accept the audio and a input switching signal. Disc control (track/disc change, etc.) is performed by you via the CD Player itself in the case of the satellite single disc units, or by a WIRED remote control that comes with the factory CD Changer package.

The non-CD version of these AM/FM/Cassettte units does not require anything to be plugged into the top square connector socket in order to get audio. However, if you do connect a factory CD to these units, you will hear the CD Play with distorted audio along with whatever other audio source was currently playing. This is because the non-CD units lack the circuitry to correctly switch audio inputs.

The only true way to determine which version a radio is would be by Part Number look-up or testing.

If you wanted to add an mp3 player input to these units, you would use the top square input/output connector on the CD-capable units only. Adding mp3 input to the non-CD capable units (via the same connector socket) will result in distorted audio. The non-CD capable units must be internally modified to add an mp3 input correctly.

The somewhat rare factory AM/FM/CD units found in Mark VIIs and Explorers have this same connector in the back of the unit but it is not electrically wired or used, so in this case, an mp3 input cannot be added to these units via the square port. It can only be added by modifying the internal circuitry.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

TwoTimeSC (Paul Protos)
              Last edited by TwoTimeSC; 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTimeSC View Post
                Hey all,

Thought I would chime in here on the subject of these radios.

It is true that SOME of these AM/FM/Cassette radios have the additional circuitry to interface with either a factory external single CD player, or a factory CD Changer with the wired remote. If you install the version that is designed for CD, you must either have a functional CD player/changer plugged into the top square connector socket (6-pin) OR have the "Jumper Plug" inserted to get any audio out of the unit. (even from radio or tape) FYI, these particular CD capable cassette radios cannot control the CD players directly, they only accept the audio and a input switching signal. Disc control (track/disc change, etc.) is performed by you via the CD Player itself in the case of the satellite single disc units, or by a WIRED remote control that comes with the factory CD Changer package.

The non-CD version of these AM/FM/Cassettte units does not require anything to be plugged into the top square connector socket in order to get audio. However, if you do connect a factory CD to these units, you will hear the CD Play with distorted audio along with whatever other audio source was currently playing. This is because the non-CD units lack the circuitry to correctly switch audio inputs.

The only true way to determine which version a radio is would be by Part Number look-up or testing.

If you wanted to add an mp3 player input to these units, you would use the top square input/output connector on the CD-capable units only. Adding mp3 input to the non-CD capable units (via the same connector socket) will result in distorted audio. The non-CD capable units must be internally modified to add an mp3 input correctly.

The somewhat rare factory AM/FM/CD units found in Mark VIIs and Explorers have this same connector in the back of the unit but it is not electrically wired or used, so in this case, an mp3 input cannot be added to these units via the square port. It can only be added by modifying the internal circuitry.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

TwoTimeSC (Paul Protos)

Thank You Paul for the info. Now we might know from the part number on his radio if it was a cd player enabled one. i can see them using cd player enabled ones even though it doesnt have the cd player option as using left over items.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I don't think either have steroes have the cd player option. But does anybody know how to yank out the radio from the lincoln continental it seems its harnessed in prety good

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

we need the part number on the radio to confirm this

Comment

dang, i don't have it but its the same front face of the one i have the back end pics for in my pics on the first page

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X