1991 Grand Marquis airbag dash warning light and tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 Grand Marquis airbag dash warning light and tone

My '91 Grand Marquis has a very annoying problem with the airbag light and warning tone. Either the dash warning light will flash five times, pause, five times, pause...as long as the car is running. When the light stops flashing, then the airbag warning tone comes on...beep beep beep...beep beep beep...It is annoying as hell!!! The local Ford dealer was no help at all.

Any ideas on how to rid myself of both of these problems????
    1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Is your airbag light on in your 90/91 Box? Then here's a good place to start. The light will flash the code, so get ready to count!

2 - All Primary Crash Sensors Disconnected.
    3 - Air Bag Deployment Circuit - Low Battery Voltage or Low Backup Power Supply Voltage
    4 - Safing Sensor - Diagnostic Circuit Open or Low Primary Crash Sensor Resistance
    5 - Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
    6 - Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
    7 - Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance
    8 - Primary Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
    9 - Primary Crash Sensor Circuit - Open or High Resistance
    10 - Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Open Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

Also, note that you can't just pull the bulb to get rid of that annoying light. The Airbag module checks resistance across the Airbag light circuit, and removing the bulb makes it beep endlessly.

It sounds like you have a code 5, but I've never heard of it beeping afterwards, that usually only happens if you pull the light out. I wonder if the module is poop.

And any Ford dealer is going to laugh a 22 year old car right out of the shop.
    Last edited by pantera77; 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It's the "five" problem, I'm betting. What's weird is that it'll flash for a while, stop, then the tone comes on. It'll stop, then the airbag light starts flashing again. They are never on at the same time.

Even stranger yet, the light quit flashing and the tone quit tonight while I was driving it. Here's hoping the air bag gremlin has left my car.

BTW, the Ford service department was actually nice and reasonably helpful, but none of their service people have more than maybe ten years of experience, so it was as much a mystery to them as it was to me.

Comment

If it is a 5 and the "short to ground" could be a loose wiring harness that got rubbed through and when you hit the correct bump, it shorts.

Alex.

Comment

This is just using logicifying, no personal experience, but maybe the beep is to indicate a pause/break between two codes? Or does it flash the same number of times before and after the beeping?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Have to look up the codes but it may be the Air Bag Module. It is the blue box, behind the glovebox (on a '93, anyway). The "caps" leak and there is not enough power stored up, thus the code. Good advice above, however. Do check for wiring shorts and sensor issues. If you can get your hands on the module a quick swap would be a good test!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Hi Patrick66

Click here for information and a troubleshooting giude for a Town Car air bag code 5 and 10 it might be the same or close enough (I can't be bothered to do the research) to help.

EDIT: Okay I did a little research (must be bored) and you need to follow the diagrams for a 90 Town Car, the fuses are different and there are a couple minor differences in the wiring, you have an extra ground (Black wire) on pin 7, the power wire on pin 13 will be White/Light Blue and the power wires on pins 1 & 6 will be Purple/Orange.

Regards

Dereck
              Last edited by Dereck; 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM.
              President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

I have this same problem, except I don't have a light flashing. Just an annoying ass beep every time I start the car, and every 20-30 mins while driving.

Sorry for hijacking.
                -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
                -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
                -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

Comment

Does the air bag steering (wheel) shaft have the same spline count/size as the early non-airbag steering wheel?

Alex.

Comment

the beep occurs cause the dash light is burned out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When I was replacing my odometer gears, I pulled my airbag light out (car had a minor front end collision and never rebagged.) I then got the annoying 5 sets of 5 beeps. I wrapped the light with duct tape and put it back in. I don't see it during the day, but I barely can see it at night. The duct tape didn't cure it completely.
                      1991 Grand Marquis LS.
                      2001 Mustang Bullitt (bought new)

Comment

Is the airbag circuit its own dedicated circuit, or are there other powered items on that same fuse???

Comment

Working...
                        X