-Taillights
    -Corner lamps
    -Courtesy lamps
    -Ash tray lamp
    -Cluster lamps
    -License plate lamp
    -Parking lamps
    -Side marker lamps

This problem JUST popped up. I went to dinner, drove there with everything working, and then left with nothing. I just got home and replaced all of the fuses that have to do with any of the lamps and checked the fuse links leading to the starter relay just to be safe. Everything looks good but I still have no lights.

Pull the headlight switch out and see if it doesn't have a melted terminal. There is one that is known to burn off and it runs all of those lights.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '89 MGM GS did the same thing a few months ago, no blown fuses anywhere.
      If you slowly pull the headlight switch to manually turn the lights on see if the dash lights come on at any point or push the switch in and out slowly and see if it they come on. I found this somewhere online (may have been somewhere on here, not sure) and I was surprised it worked in my case since mine has the auto head lamps so I NEVER use the switch manually. If that works you can at least get by until you can get a new switch.

I did have a terminal that had a small bit of melting starting but nothing too terrible, I think it was the rear corner of the large connector.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I've always sort of wondered if it wouldn't be smart to put a relay in to run the parking lights, just to take the load off the headlight switch. A lot of consideration is given to the headlamps themselves but when you add up all the bulbs around the car that are on with the parking lights, thats a fair bit of current.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah that's what my buddy did with his 80something (not sure what year) Monte Carlo. He set it up with relays to take the load off of the switch. He says it works well and told me I should do the same with my '91 MGM after I was telling him about how the headlights would randomly cut out with the old switch before I replaced it.
          He also converted the headlights to HID, at least I think it was HID. Lucky me, he had a whole set of head lights, high and low beams, unopened (I forget why), that he gave me (free!) because he had no use for them any longer. Now I have nice glass instead of ugly dingy plastic lenses on the high beams.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Or this;
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight switch 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1270453Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight switch 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1270454 the switch was also melted

Comment

looks like you need a new connector and switch. Time for headlight relays!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  looks like you need a new connector and switch. Time for headlight relays!
                  capri755, good to see you found the problem, that looks worse then GM_Guys pic. Luckily my 89 was nothing compared to either of those, but I'm sure it's on its way there.
                  As far as the connector goes GM_Guy had tip on that here, and has replaced it himself.

Along with 3G conversion for the 91 MGM, headlight relays should be my New Years Resolution.

This: Headlight Relays looks like a good start for headlight relays.
                  Unlike 3G conversion I haven't done much research on this yet but I'm sure there is more info on here somewhere for this topic.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

yup same thing happend to me new connector and wire spade for the parking lights and all good

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

We've all been there.
                      The 89

I lost just the headlamps on my 87, turns out it was the connector for the multifunction switch.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I did the relays before mine went... so it hasn't gone at all. but I had the blower resistor nuke itself...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6131-rs.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1270455Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6132-rs.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1270456

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I guess when I had my boxes, they weren't old enough to start having these issues. I did replace the headlight switch on the 89 MGM, but nothing looked like that it. If/when I get another box, relay upgrade will happen (along with 3G alt!)
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

thanks for all the references guys, I've started looking into relays but for the moment I just replaced the connector and switch so I can keep driving haha

Comment

Well, atleast your able to drive, for the time being. Im not 100% on this but, I think most of these electrical issues come from poor alt output, especially at idle. Low amperage and draw demand cause heat. Just like cranking over a starter for a long period, with a low battery. Connections will get hot and burn. Same goes for poor/loose connections. This is why when I first start the car and let it warm up, I dont go cranking on all accessories like headlights, hi-fan speed and defrost, all at the same time.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X