Headlight knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight knob

How do I get the headlight control knob out of the dash. I trying to take the dash apart and that is In the way.

What type of car do you have?

On a box you have to push a release button that is deep under the dash on the headlight switch. Royal pain to reach.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

1990 grand marquis. Do you have a pic of the button

Comment

No. But it is located on the underside of the headlamp switch behind the dashboard...behind the headlight knob.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I just went through this with my 86 GM. I would like to add to this topic by pointing out that the ***damned*** release switch is on the top of the unit, when installed in the vehicle. I removed the dash pad, then I used a hole saw to make a 2" hole through the plastic panel underneath. This hole allowed me to see and then get a screwdriver to the release switch, from the side. The dash pad has sides which now cover the hole. For good measure, I squirted the assembly with OXI-CLEAN Gold, and now the dimmer is more smooth.

All this was just for replacing the bulbs in the speedometer, but I replaced them with nice blue LED's. I also removed the trip meter which was suffering from senile dementia, and took out a speaker so I can find a replacement for that. Interestingly, I noticed there was a space for an elliptical speaker right in the middle of the dash. I also found the light sensor covered in dirt, so I wiped it off... maybe it will work now? Anyway, a fine day's mucking about!
            1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0

Comment

Cutting a access hole sounds like a good idea but I have repeatedly removed the knob from both the 89 and 93 without cutting a hole. I think I got some small cuts every time. My hands are average size.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Your level of patience is above average, or mine is below, one or the other! A smaller hole in exactly the right place is probably best.

Comment

I might be wrong but isn't that space in the middle of the dash for a factory amp? I suppose a speaker could be put there no problem, some dash pads even had a vented spot in the middle for that spot.

If I had seen this post when it was originally posted I would have put my 2 cents in then... better late than never I suppose, maybe this will help someone else.

The way I removed the headlight switch on my '91 MGM when I needed to get into the dash was to remove all the screws for the plastic of the dash and remove the bottom screw for the headlight switch mounting plate.
                  Then pull the knob out as far as it will go and atuo-lamp ring out with it.
                  Then pull the top of the plastic dash cover out a bit and you should be able to get at the top screw of the headlight switch mounting plate with a t20 torx driver through the little vent above the switch. (it's not a straight shot, but it is more straight than the picture looks like since I had to hold the plastic with one hand, camera in the other and balance the torx driver on the vent... took a couple tries to get that pic!)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3064.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1270562Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3066.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1270563
                  Then the headlight switch will pull right out along with the dash plastic and getting to the release button is really easy.

Otherwise take the padded panel off below the steering column and start reaching up there for the release button is how others have done it. On my '89 MGM I think snaking your arm up there was the only option.

Now I'm getting confused but IIRC my '91 I think the release button was on the bottom but don't quote me on it, I just know that the '89 was on the opposite side, so for an '86 (should be the same setup as the '89) on the top sounds right and '90 and '91 it's on the bottom.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

90+ just have a friction tab on the knob itself to pull it off, super easy. Just press the tab in and it slides right off. No need to pull the shaft out like on the older cars.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I had to go check this out, I can't believe it is that simple but it is. I know I'll be into the dash at least a couple more times in the near future, thanks for the tip.

I have a couple bad switches laying around
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3124.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1270564
                      Just push the friction tab from the back of the knob toward the face of the knob with a small jewelers screwdriver right at that notch on the knob and it comes right off.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        I might be wrong but isn't that space in the middle of the dash for a factory amp? I suppose a speaker could be put there no problem, some dash pads even had a vented spot in the middle for that spot.
                        On this car, the Premium 2 channel stereo actually has the amp for the front speakers elsewhere, by the back wheel well I think.

The space in the middle of the dash is the exact conical shape of a speaker, and there is a factory 2 wire connector there just like the other speakers. There are also numerous holes arranged in a circle in the dash pad as if for a speaker. It is space perfectly made for a a 6x9 speaker to sit, but no speaker was there.

Is it possible that they decided to omit the center speaker to save costs?

Comment

90+ just have a friction tab on the knob itself to pull it off, super easy. Just press the tab in and it slides right off. No need to pull the shaft out like on the older cars.

That was the right answer!
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

my 88 has a set screw (as seen in the heater core thread). The 82 Lincoln has a set screw as well IIRC (I'd have to look again). I've never had to reach up and remove the rod the hard way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X