No Front Defrost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Front Defrost

I can't seem to find how to fix the mode selector door through the site search. I found it before and remember seeing a picture someone had with the door out of the dash working on it. But I can't seem to find it now. I’m trying to fix it so I can have defrost/floor/vent air selection again!

I have taken the dash pad off, removed the radio, loosen the ATC controller under the radio, and removed all the front paneling. I’m looking inside, but cannot see where this door is located or how to get to it to repair the hinge.

How far in/deep is this door located? Is there a step-by-step write-up for this repair? Pictures? Or forum/links? Any help will be appreciated!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Look under the dash, in the middle. There will be a black box. That's the thing you have to get to...

Comment

Thanks! I'm at work now, so I can't look yet. Is it under the ATC selector? Like behind the ashtray or deeper towards the firewall?

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

OK, so I looked in, but all I see is black. Is this door near the windshield, or near the floor? Do I have to remove the entire dash to get to it? Which way is better from the bottom or the top? I'm lost...!

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

it's inside the black thing. There should be 2 or 3 doors actually. check to make sure the actuators (almost dead behind the ATC controls) are actually moving first. Once you know stuff is moving and that it's actually a broken door you're dealing with... then move to the pulling all that out from behind the dash part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you have to get the plenum out to fix it if its a broken door. I did mine when I did the heater core last time. Getting the plenum out is a pain in the ass and requires partial dissasembly of the dashboard.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info. But every thing is on hold until I can get my back fixed. I through it out, crawing around the dash I guess.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

that sucks. BTDT.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks! Got shot up by the ER and feeling better. I'm still not right, but at least I'm not doubled over in pain. I think this job will have to wait until spring now.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

Working...
                  X