Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a wagon thing.

Comment

If there is no high mount stop light, you can bet your paycheck that hazzards did not blink with brakes applied. Brake application takes precedence over flashing hazzard lights. I got a feeling your wagon with blinky lights had a fault somewhere that allowed it to do that--just becuase brakes take precedence over flashing lights, more important to know when somebody is hitting the brakes and potentially coming to a stop infront of you.

Alex.

Comment

Again, the only other thing I'm certain of is that the wagon's stock third brake light didn't blink with the flashers, the P72's does, and I was very surprised when I noticed that! I don't remember for certain, but IIRC the wagon's third brake light would come on steady while the corner flashers would continue to blink, which made good sense to me since it means something's wrong AND you're stopping, AND people can still see the flashers flashing from the front as you slow down.

If all '86-up models were indeed supposed to blinky the third brake light, than I guess the wagon must have come to me with either a wiring mod or a wiring malfunction.

Still, interesting stuff.
        Last edited by 1987cp; 10-27-2011, 11:23 PM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1268000 Multifunction switch testing page from 89 Ford/Merc EVTM...enjoy!
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

AHA!!! Just as I suspected! On my EVTM 385 W/R and 511 LG (brake switch wiring) a good switch indicates a closed circuit. My suspicions were correct, the switches are different in at least 89. Thanks for posting that mang!!!

However, the schematic shows otherwise. I think it might have been a printing error. But there's only one way to find out. I gotta find myself an '89 multifunction switch...
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 10-29-2011, 07:04 PM. Reason: HOWEVER....

Comment

Alright, so I hit the junkyard today. I didn't find any 89s, however, I did find 2 87's and an 88. The part number matched for the multifunction switch between the two years. I tested it, as per the EVTM, and sure enough, it isolated the third brake light and brake switch from the hazards. So the first year for the isolated m/f switch was 1987. I installed it in my car, and sure enough, it worked as I wanted it to.

So here's a little backstory on the third brake light.
              In 1985, the government was getting a law past that stated that a third brake light (Center High Mounted Stop Light CHMSL) be installed to every car sold in the US. This became a law 1986.
              In mid year, 1985, Ford added a 3rd brake light to the Crown Victoria (possibly other models too).

Now, the multifunction switch was redesigned in 1985 to remove the horn button, and add the flash to pass feature. With the early 85s, there was no 3rd brake light, so to make still indicate to drivers that you were stopping (with the hazards on), the lights would stop flashing, as it would during normal brake application. Now 1986 utilized the multifunction switch from the 1985, no changes. Note in the wiring diagrams above, that the 3rd brake light taps into the brake switch before it goes to the multifunction switch...

By 1987, Ford decided (other car companies did too I'm sure) that the hazards to stop flashing when the brakes are applied, probably isn't a good idea, since you can still indicate that you're slowing down by drivers behind you seeing the 3rd brake light coming on. So they changed the multifunction switch a tad by removing a set of contacts on the hazard switch. Note in the '86, and I'm sure the '85 EVTMs in the testing multifunction switch pages. You'll notice the pins between the brake light and the other turn/hazzard/brake lights will have continuity with the switch on. In '87+ it will not have continuity.

1987CP, I'd be willing to bet, that the car you have that stops flashing, either has a shorted switch, or an earlier switch in it.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                1987CP, I'd be willing to bet, that the car you have that stops flashing, either has a shorted switch, or an earlier switch in it.
                Interesting!

Well, the current switch is from a 1984 model. The switch that was on the car when I got it may or may not have been original, could even have been replaced before torquelover acquired the thing.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

hmm... maybe I'll change the multifunction switch and put a later model lincoln steering wheel with center pad horn on if I ever need to change the steering wheel out on my Mark. the stalk horn sucks.

I already have a third brake light switched into the brake pedal switch... so it's all good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                    hmm... maybe I'll change the multifunction switch and put a later model lincoln steering wheel with center pad horn on if I ever need to change the steering wheel out on my Mark. the stalk horn sucks.

I already have a third brake light switched into the brake pedal switch... so it's all good.
                    I don't think you can unless you change the column. The earlier wheels iirc can go on in any position. The 85/86+ can only go in two positions.
                    Also 83 doesn't have a horn relay...

Comment

hmm... there are ways around this depending on just how much modification is needed *grin*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

hmm... there are ways around this depending on just how much modification is needed *grin*
                        Sure, if you're going to grind the splines off of the piece that the steering wheel is bolted to... Horn relay is easy, but you have to do something about the cruise control too (I think)

Comment

if I just mod an old style stock wheel in good shape to use the center pad horn and add a relay... I should be good to go unless the multifunction switch is that much different physically. The column is the same size diameter as my 88... so I don't see that being a big deal.

Comment

if I just mod an old style stock wheel in good shape to use the center pad horn and add a relay... I should be good to go unless the multifunction switch is that much different physically. The column is the same size diameter as my 88... so I don't see that being a big deal.
                            Dunno, never attempted it. Let me know how you make out. That way, if I ever find myself with a pre 85 panther. I can correct the problem that is the stalk horn.

Comment

if I ever actually do it before letting someone else enjoy this car... I'll post pics like a mad man.

Comment

Working...
                              X