Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID headlight kits?

Hi!

I set up relays a year ago, and that helped a lot (to have 14V at the headlights and not 11.5); but I realize that my stock headlights really are still too dim.
    I have no idea how old they are; can they get dimmer with age, or not really?

I'm considering an HID kit, at least for the lowbeams. High beams no one ever uses.
    There are an awful lot of kits out there; any recommendations? Are there good ones and shitty ones?

And, what brightness would you suggest? 6000K seems the truest white. Dunno if maybe a 8000 or 10000 blue would look cool-- or just stupid and obnoxious.

they do dim with age. I put in a new headlight on the driver side of my 88 and it was a pretty big difference. Need to do the passenger side as well before too terrible long... but it's not that dim yet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK; I didn't know if they either burned out (or didn't burn out).
      Browsing napa, I can spend from $5 to $40 on the rectangular low beam halogen bulb-- is there a quality difference?

Comment

You know how the low beam has 2 different filaments in it? I've wondered about making them both burn all the time. Would they overheat? They sure throw a lot of light when they're both on.

Comment

High beams depend where you live

I'd check Rock closeouts for bulbs, if you go that route. I see they have H4656TV for $7.XX ea + frt.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

its all about them 'Silver Stars'

Comment

I love my silverstars. My low beams are as bright as my high beams and throw light almost as far.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

if you are going to go HID route stay at or below 6000k anything higher looks blue/purple and silly. Most stock cars hids are 4300k(my maxima is 4300k stock non-projectors). If not, silverstars.
                2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

I wish they made Ultras for the H4656
                  2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                  2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                  1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

For the silver stars, do you need to get a whole new housing? Or how do they work? And I had 8000k HIDs, and they dont always work, but the people that did the wiring suck. I'm just interested if the silver stars would be brighter than my HIDs?

Blane
                    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
                      You know how the low beam has 2 different filaments in it? I've wondered about making them both burn all the time. Would they overheat? They sure throw a lot of light when they're both on.
                      People do do this from time to time, usually as part of an upgrade to a relay setup. I think it's obnoxious that most if not all vehicles are set up so the lows go off when the highs come on.

I did an experiment with a relay and big wires on the wagon shortly before I parked it, and I was shocked at how much light it put out!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Silverstars like Sylvania Silverstars? OMG they suck! I put the Ultra's in my car last year and hardly noticed a difference. Luckily I got a set for $30 or I would be really pissed. I am going HID here before 2012 (xmas gift to myself)

EDIT: Oh yeah, the life expectancy of the Ultra is about 1 YEAR. Weaaak!
                        Last edited by r2t; 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM.
                        '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
                        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
                        X