(cheap!) odometer gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(cheap!) odometer gears?

I just bought a '90-'91 PI instrument cluster from a forum member, who tells me that the odometer/ trip meter gears have stripped out.
    My own car's gears work, at any rate, though I have not pulled them out to see whether they might be on their way to becoming worn out.

I went to odometergears.com and was floored by their asking price: $96 for a set of 2sets (2 worm gears, 2 pinion gears), + shipping!!
    Looking on ebay I only found minutely cheaper; $88 shipped for the same. I really can't justify that. I'm already spending $65 on the instrument cluster, $60 for matching black gauges, and might want to spend $100 on a fuel sending unit (mine works, and can't explain what hte fuel gauge is doing, but the resistance values are too high and it throws my readings off), so ANOTHER $100 just for 4 teensy plastic gears.... really, are there no cheaper options?

Should I just use mine? They're 120,000 miles old. I won't know how they look until I pull the instrument cluster back out, probably, only when I'm doing the swap.
    There was a statement, on MSG, that the white gears last forever and the black ones wear out; different plastics.
    If mine are white and apparently unworn, definitely reuse them? I don't know which years/models/clusters had the better plastic and which had the softer plastic.

thanks!
    -Bernard

Your lucky they made them to 120k. The ones in my 91 Marq only made it to 96K, though the ones in the 91 wagon made it too 200K. When I swapped a 140 into the wagon, I just replaced the pinion gear, and reused the old worm gear. Bad idea? Prolly, but it works.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If you have white ones, reuse them. But the white ones were from like 96+. I bought a single set of white gears for the Tank's odometer. Like a week later, the trip went out. I just kept throwing black gears in there until I ran out of them.
      So, my trip doesn't work. Oh well. Im not paying $50 for trip gears, even though they're identical.
      Good luck.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I don't suppose finding a 1996 crown vic at the junk yard, that those gears will fit? (hoping beyond reason).
        Alright, if they're THAT bad, and THAT notorious, I s'pose I'd better pony up. $85 is still <<$ than a new car That's how I convince myself of every fresh repair.

I've got, for the pair mind you, trip and odometer:
        speedometergears.com $96 shipped
        mpgautoparts.com $86 shipped
        odometergears.com $85 shipped

...Basically all on a level. Anyone find another cheaper quote? And, anyone have experience with any of the three, good experiences or bad? speedometergears.com has a warranty, for the extra $10; if I'm likely to ever make use of that in the next few years that I might own the car for?

Comment

Well since odometergears.com lists 90-97 as the same parts....I'd guess that they would be the same....However, seems like a JY find would have the same issue. And it looks like a PITA to get the speedo out. I'd pony up the $$ and get it done and over with.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if you know a good retired bored machinist who is into clockmaking, you can probably get a set made in brass. They would last forever, but find the guy to make you such an item.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ford Odometer Replacement Gears

#F16. Fits 1994 - 1999 Mustang and others, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Bronco, Taurus, Explorer. Fits Ford late 1980's to late 1990's. The freight for these is only $2.00 with the United States Postal Service. Buy 2 #F16 at one time and get a 10% discount. Buy 4 or more #F16 at one time and get a 20% discount. Will not fit Ford Ranger or Explorer. Cost $39.00 for the pair.

transmissioncenter.org

Comment

Working...
              X