No announcement yet.

Top terminal to side terminal change over problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side terminal posts often don't have the original bolt with the nice lip to grab on to, especially if they've been replaced with replacement terminals.
    Even if they do, any bit of tension on the cable will pull them right off the bolts. I often at work have to secure cables with a bungee cord on one like that so they will stay... and don't get me started about when they are physically hard to get to due to stuff above them or crowding them.
    I'll still keep mine though because it looks so nice with no terminals, cables or hold down visible.
    Also, my jumper cables have a nifty swing-out adapter in the ends just for side terminals
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
      What exactly are you doing to your jumper cables to bend the teeth? I've got a set of jumper cables I made back in the 80's that still have springs of death and nice straight teeth...

Alex.
      using cables that are hand me downs from father figures that have been rebuilt a few times... are kinda rusted... etc etc. The new set from wally world has those jaws with the side terminal hook and even those won't stay on when the weight of the wires is on them. gotta have someone hold the damn cable up so the weight of the wires won't pull them off the side terminals.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Shop quality.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          If you're stuck replacing 1G fiddly bits, check car-part.com for a good price on a 3G in your area.
          In the future (not that I'm hoping that this 1G alternator quits) I'll go ahead and switch to 3G since so many guys recommend it. I gotta say I never really understood why.

sigpic

Comment

One practical reason is that it REALLY cleans up the wiring. You have basically a starter cable going from the alternator to the battery, and a little green wire that goes to ignition-hot, and that's it.

The other reason is that the later alternator is said to have dramatically improved low-RPM charging characteristics, which is obviously beneficial on a vehicle that sees lots of time puttering around town and/or has aftermarket electronics.

Better still, it's possible to pick up a used 3G for less than the price of a new 1G, and you don't have to also spend the $10+ on the external regulator plus whatever additional expense and hassle is involved in redoing parts of the umpteen-wire harness that makes it all tick.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
            X