No announcement yet.

Top terminal to side terminal change over problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good, I'll give some of that greese a shot first and if the wires are too corroded I'll just have to replace them too

sigpic

Comment

I agree. Side terminal batteries are for SH&*! Whatever Ralph Nader look alike that came up with them outta be shot. Trying to jump them at night is downright dangerous. I usually convert mine to toppost whenever I can. Have converted my 1995 Impala and the 1998 Suburban, so far. The only thing to beware of is that places like Walmart (if you get your battery from there) will not warranty a battery in a car that it was not designed for. Other places (NAPA, Carquest) have similar policies. Reminds me of Democrats trying to take money from working folks.
      95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
      96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
      77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
      98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Weird, I've never heard of that. I've hardly ever been able to get the exact battery listed for my vehicles anyway.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

All this sidepost hate irks me. I don't know what kind of cheap crap jumper cables you guys own, but its not something that has ever given me a problem.
          As for night time: You still got to confirm + and - and that doesn't change wether its top or side post.

Alex.

Comment

problem with side terminals and jumper cables... you have a washer to grab with those huge clamps... or better yet... an 8-10mm hex screw. those big ass clamps prefer top terminals for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              As for night time: You still got to confirm + and - and that doesn't change wether its top or side post.

Alex.
              +1 ... unless you always get an exact replacement battery for the exact same car, "+" and "-" are frequently reversed left-to-right as the battery is installed in the car, or viewed another way, are alternately on the fore or aft side of the battery when installed with "+" toward the fender like I normally do. I think my DieHard and my Interstate are reversed from one another.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

'sidepost hate' LOL!

Pete
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  problem with side terminals and jumper cables... you have a washer to grab with those huge clamps... or better yet... an 8-10mm hex screw. those big ass clamps prefer top terminals for sure.
                  Yea, the jumpers always seem to slide off the side terminals. I've almost been shocked by the battery when the clamp slides off!

sigpic

Comment

There are teeth on the the sides of the clamps to grab the "washer" that has a convient groove in it to get clamped to...

Alex.

Comment

Are all side post batteries hateful to read with a voltmeter? Or have all of the ones I've attempted been corroded and not looked it?
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        There are teeth on the the sides of the clamps to grab the "washer" that has a convient groove in it to get clamped to...

Alex.
                        in theory... yes... but not all teeth are still nice and straight with tight springs that will actually stay put. again... don't need to deal with that on top-post setups... or even side POST setups. I've seen side terminals with screw down posts on them a couple of times.

ala these:

typical adapters for putting a top post battery into a side terminal vehicle (I have a set of these)
                        Last edited by sly; 10-03-2011, 10:30 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

And I never liked side terminals but understand that you needed a battery. You could have gotten some of those top battery post ends and ran them into the battery and still be able to use your top post battery cable ends. You may need to extend the positive cable so it'll reach. Not sure. But those terminals are like a few bucks. Might be worth it.

Ps: didn't didn't see the 3rd page. Sorry guys

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                            And I never liked side terminals but understand that you needed a battery. You could have gotten some of those top battery post ends and ran them into the battery and still be able to use your top post battery cable ends. You may need to extend the positive cable so it'll reach. Not sure. But those terminals are like a few bucks. Might be worth it.

Ps: didn't didn't see the 3rd page. Sorry guys
                            I've never even heard of a way to use the top terminal cable ends, if I only I knew this sooner! Oh well, I learn a little bit more each day

sigpic

Comment

in theory... yes... but not all teeth are still nice and straight with tight springs that will actually stay put. again...
                              What exactly are you doing to your jumper cables to bend the teeth? I've got a set of jumper cables I made back in the 80's that still have springs of death and nice straight teeth...

Alex.

Comment

If you're stuck replacing 1G fiddly bits, check car-part.com for a good price on a 3G in your area.

Comment

Working...
                                X