No announcement yet.

Top terminal to side terminal change over problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ....... what happened to the alternator? Only thing I know of a "murdered" alternator was one that randomly shorted out its rectifier whilst installed and operating correctly, and never bothered to tell me why.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Get a 3g, get rid of the crappy side terminal batteries and attach the grounds to their proper places.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        So ....... what happened to the alternator? Only thing I know of a "murdered" alternator was one that randomly shorted out its rectifier whilst installed and operating correctly, and never bothered to tell me why.
        Well I say murdered since apparently my good old brother and dad so kindly "helped" by hooking up the battery.... Backwards, creating a smokey mess, while I stepped into the house for a quick second. But not to worry, since by the time I came out the battery was the correctly hooked up. Now how did I find this out? My other brother told me... Lol oh well, What's done is done

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 84GrandMarquis View Post
          Well I say murdered since apparently my good old brother and dad so kindly "helped" by hooking up the battery.... Backwards,...
          That is the ultimate voltage spike...
          I would expect to find other cooked wiring and/or components down the road as a result of this.
          When I originally mentioned spiking the alternator I was making reference to the often deadly voltage spike which results when you remove a cable from the battery with the engine running and then hook it back up. The old externally regulated Ford alternators were pretty resistance to damage so many people were in the habit of checking alternator function by pulling a cable and seeing if the engine stayed running. If it did, the alternator was working.
          These days people kill alternators while "jumping" a battery to start another vehicle with their vehicle running. You should always have your car off when you initially hook up cables to the dead battery and then attach the ground cable last and remove it first once the other vehicle is running. If the other vehicle has a dead alternator you can cause a spike when you remove the cable with your car running because there is still a high draw.

Comment

Oh, interesting. Good info there. ^^^
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I remember checking the alternator that way, didn't know it changed, thanks.

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

side terminal batterys fuckin suck..

carry on
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post

carry on
                  Agreed. But hey, it was free

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post

carry on
                    +1

Boosting them is miserable. But like ya said, freebie.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'll pay for convenience...

Comment

Whats so hard about boosting a side terminal? Theres a groove in the nut to clamp onto.

Alex.
                        Side Terminal FTW!

Comment

Its definitely more cumbersome and precarious, but I have cables with swing out clips for side terminals for mine . Regular cables do like to slip off though, making a possibly aggravating situation even more so...!
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Update: Well the alternator is fixed, plain old 1G rebuilt motorcraft. Things appeared great, but I noticed that when ever it rains the amp light comes on... I thought mabye the ground was getting wet but then wouldn't that completly kill the car? Mabye, I don't really know, I'm just surmising since the point of the ground would be to kill electricity when it gets wet, so I have no clue

sigpic

Comment

check the connections on the fender mounted regulator. That's the part that's probably getting wet. May just need to disconnect it and give it a healthy douse of dielectric grease.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The wires on those external regulators like to corrode and loose their insulation too... I got a whole charge harness to replace mine with back in the day, it was horrible shape.
                                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                                sigpic
                                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X