Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good source for rivet gun (1/4" blind rivets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good source for rivet gun (1/4" blind rivets)

Anyone know a good source (like in the next day or so) for a cheap rivet gun that shoots 1/4" blind rivets like the one used to hold the door lock actuator on the front door? All the ones I see shoot up to 3/16" rivets. Lowes, Autozone, Advance, and Oreilly's don't have 'em.

Sears?
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

Not sure but I know people often use nuts and bolts instead of re-rivetting

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

kinda hard to nut and bolt a lock actuator (I've tried). I'd also like to know where to get a pop rivet gun that will do quarter inch rivets as well. Autozone doesn't carry one. that one only goes up to 3/16 or 7/32 or some such nonsense. I did use mine with nuts to pop some 1/4 rivets... but ended up damaging the gun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just found it. Harbor Freight sells one that works beautifully! Does up to 1/4 inch rivets. It is not the pistol style but rather the lopper kind that has a 'cantelever' design for more torque. It even does 1/4" stainless rivets (it means business!!). Part number is 66422. $19.99 and use a coupon (TOOL20) to get 20% off.

RT
        95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

GREAT FIND! Just ordered one but it does beg the question - how do you hold the door actuator, in place, while using the tool? Seems like a "third" hand would help!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

that's easy... one hand on the actuator... one hand on one handle... use knee as support for the other handle. Or... get someone else to hold the actuator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

that's easy... one hand on the actuator... one hand on one handle... use knee as support for the other handle. Or... get someone else to hold the actuator.

nice find... I'll go fetch one (got a location near me).

Comment

or use your middle leg!!...
                90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Now THAT would be a terrible time to miss!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X