Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature gauge mystery (to me, at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature gauge mystery (to me, at least)

Freaking temperature gauge is pegged full-hot all the time. If I unplug it from the sender, it'll go down to around the RM in NORMAL. This happened to me early in my ownership of the car, and I replaced the sender. It happened again after a couple days, and I got the store to exchange the sender as a defect... lasted for quite some time after that. Several years, I'd say. It's been dead for a while now, though. Recently replaced the sender again, to no avail. Should've tested the old one before going and spending the money, but I was lazy.

Does anyone have any ideas, or anything I can check? I would guess it's a short, except it responds when you unplug sender on the intake manifold... it just doesn't respond how it should. According to my EVTM it's a straight shot from the gauge to the sender without even connectors in the way, so that doesn't really give me many ideas on what to look at...

Probably a bare wire running through the firewall or in the dash. Or a corroded section.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I had this issue with that Pontiac Parisienne I had. bad ground on the gauge itself. once I fixed that... it worked for a while again... the next issue was the sending wire itself. Looks like your sending wire is good though. Probably the ground wire fell off the gauge or the harness to the cluster is loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
      X