Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

preferred lubricant for door window motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preferred lubricant for door window motors?

I've read everthing from WB grease (white lithium), graphite grease (Dorman seems to suggest this one), silicone grease (Molykote 33) can be used. Whatever OEM used was not compatible with the three little round roller gears in my motor. When I removed the cover for my window motor (1 torx screw, then remove the E-clip, then remove cover, then remove center gear, then pull the plastic spline gear up over central shaft (carefully - there's a nice rubber o-ring on the shaft)), I found the motor housing full of uniform particle size granules made of grease and the ultra-disintegrated plastic roller gears. So bottom line, Ford chemists didn't do their homework on chemical compatibility of the plastic roller gear with the grease they used. guy at work has a 1990 CV, 41,000 original miles (his mom's car) that has all four window motors shot. Certainly not a matter of overuse! Yeah, age is there, but so is the evidence of chemical incompatibility.
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

replace the nylon plugs/bushings/rollers with 7/16 ball bearings or 2x 1/4-20 nuts per bushing. that will permanently solve that problem. Chemical compatibility isn't the main issue... it's material suitable for purpose. The nylon will get brittle with time and temperature cycles (days, seasons, etc). I've actually not had any last longer than 6 months in a car that's parked outside in the summer here in DFW, but since I've replaced those thinks with metal, I haven't had any issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Interesting, 7/16 ball bearings. Steel I presume?
      95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
      96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
      77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
      98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

ooohhhh Ive got bunches of old wheel hub ball bearings I bet would work in the next ones I do...

Its good to know other people have had new bushings go bad soon after replacing them, lol
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by alchemist View Post
          Interesting, 7/16 ball bearings. Steel I presume?
          or whatever the hardware store has in stock that's not rusting. after installing, they will be covered with so much grease that rust will not be an issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X