R12 Compressor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R12 Compressor Oil

Dumb n00b question. Do our cars take an oil charge with the freon through the R12 port, or is there a separate place to add oil on the compressor? Thanks guys.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

oil is added after a vacuum is pulled and before the charge, or in a small pressurized can of r12 and lube.....prob would not hurt to add a can of lube to the system if it's still r12

heres some, need a macs license to buy it tho

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

When I did the R134a conversion, I just poured it in the compressor (removed the ports and poured it in). 4 oz in the compressor, 2 oz in the condensor, 2 in the evaporator. put system under vacuum to get rid of moisture, and charged it.

Comment

At what state is your AC system right now? Did you lose charge and blow out some of the oil as well? If that happens, the best thing to do is to change over to R-134a. Evacuate all the freon, isolate the compressor and receiver/dryer by removing the lines from it (need to buy new fittings for everything you take apart), then run DuraFlush II through your evaporator core and lines, and condensor and lines. That flushes out all the old oil. Dump oil out of compressor and out of the receiver dryer as best as you can. Charge your receiver dryer with the correct amount of mineral oil that is spec'd for your application. Then put all back together, and pull vacuum for no less than 30 minutes. Verify that vacuum holds when you close off your system (never just turn off your vacuum pump without closing the system first). Then, with system still under vacuum, begin to add your refrigerant. Always best to add by weight and not use system pressures to 'guess' correct charge. That means you need to have your bottle of refrigerant on a good scale/balance and measure the weight loss over time.

remember on a receiver/dryer system, you add charge as gas. On an accumulator setup, you can add as a liquid (tank upside down). Always bleed (with refrigerant) all lines to prevent air from entering system.

I know this is overkill, but this is the best way to do it. If you just want to top off the oil, it's a guessing game, unless you are damn sure exactly how much you lost.

R-12 and R-22 require license (MVAC or HVAC).

R-134a does not. Sam's Club has great price on 134a cans and bulk 30lb. bottle.
        95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
        96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
        77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
        98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

R12 is actually not much more expensive than 134. For a top-up on a basically working R12 system, its a lot cheaper to buy one can vs retrofitting it. It performs significantly better too.

Ive actually been reading about R414B as a replacement for R12. Supposedly it performs as well or slightly better than 12, and much better than R134a. I may do this with my car. The 134a works ok, but barely more than that. On a really hot day, it cools you off but it never gets good and cold like these cars do with native R12. The Mark VII also has wimpy AC, a known issue with R134a converted Fox cars due to their barely adequate AC condensor.

Another thing that actually really kicks ass as a refrigerant, though is generally a horribly bad idea to use is propane. Its flammable and smells like liquid ass if it leaks but it makes cold. Obviously this is NOT approved for mobile AC use.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alchemist: It's just weak, and the compressor cycles at speed. It was weak when I got the car 2 years ago, and I had a quick charge put in at a shop that still had R-12. It worked fine up until it started getting warm out this year. I bought a can of R-12 and a filler hose off of a friend, but I figured I would add some oil in too, since it seems that the compressor puts a larger drag than normal on the engine when it engages.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon View Post
              Alchemist: It's just weak, and the compressor cycles at speed. It was weak when I got the car 2 years ago, and I had a quick charge put in at a shop that still had R-12. It worked fine up until it started getting warm out this year. I bought a can of R-12 and a filler hose off of a friend, but I figured I would add some oil in too, since it seems that the compressor puts a larger drag than normal on the engine when it engages.
              Well, if you could get the R12 cheap from your friend at the shop, go for it. Unless you really think oil has escaped, then I wouldn't bother with the changeover. Yes, R-12 was (key word, was) a superior refrigerant. But make no mistake, R-12 is no longer made. All there is is old stock. If you can find it, most shops charge astronomical money for it. YOu shouldn't need to add in oil, unless you believe there was a catastrophic leak. Very little oil escapes in a slow leak.
              95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
              90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

r134a is no longer cheap either

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by alchemist View Post
                  Well, if you could get the R12 cheap from your friend at the shop, go for it. Unless you really think oil has escaped, then I wouldn't bother with the changeover. Yes, R-12 was (key word, was) a superior refrigerant. But make no mistake, R-12 is no longer made. All there is is old stock. If you can find it, most shops charge astronomical money for it. YOu shouldn't need to add in oil, unless you believe there was a catastrophic leak. Very little oil escapes in a slow leak.
                  R12 is still made , just not here in the USA .. it is still used in Mexico as well as other places
                  sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

you can buy individual cans of it on ebay for not much more than R134a goes for. The cost-effective argument is largely invalid these days. The demand has also dropped pretty severely. Nothing has used it in a good 15+ years now.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm with you. You can get R-12 offshore, for sure. I know a friend in Kentucky who ordered up some off of craigslist and the stuff that was in those cans was NOT R-12. Sorta like trusting the Chinese to make good baby food. Yeah, they can make a set of hand pliers that might last a few years, but they also put melamine in their baby food, as filler. You're also right on the demand part. But I stand by my statement that for old stock of stuff that was made here in the USA, it's pricey. Yeah, 134a is going up too. Why? Because in 2017, the good ol' EPA says that it will be phased out and substituted with another even more ozone-friendlier refrigerant. Dupont is working on that replacement. I stockpiled two 30lb. containers of 134a when Sams sold it for $60. Try to find it for that price now!

R22 is over $200 for 30lbs. and we probably won't see it go lower, ever. Time to stock up on it, for your home HVAC, if you have an older unit that still works.

btw, while in grad school, in 1993, I worked on 134a. We did extensive tox studies, using F-19 NMR, in rats to show that if they breathed an atmostphere containing the gas, it was completely metabolized (exhaled) by their lungs. We had the NMR method quantitated down to sub-ppb detection.
                      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Working...
                      X