headlights stay on after car is off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlights stay on after car is off

hey guys have a question for you. have had the car for awhile and everytime i used to shut the car off then turn the headlights off they went out. now within the last week i tunr my car off hit hit the headlight switch and the lights stay on for a few sec then sounds like a relay clicks and kills the lights. im not sure if this is what they are supposed to do orginally because it never did that untill now. let me know if any of you have cars that do the same thing im going on a 1900 mile trip soon and want to make sure everything is working right. thanks ryan

autolamp

is yours a 90-91? i haven't had the feature on my 88 or 89 but it's been on every 90-91 i've ever seen. anyway, the thing behind the headlight switch (the switch being the part that pulls out and turns to dim your dash lights) will also turn to the right. this adjusts how long the light stay on after the car has turned off in case you need to see some junk. turn that knob all the way to the left and it'll sort of "click", and just shut the lights off like normal.

EDIT: the feature could very well exist on earlier cars, i just know the ones i've owned.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i have had auto lights on cars ranging from 1986-1992... somebody probly turned the dial behind the light knob you pull out... turn the dial clock wise to turn that off... or it has a sensor in dash that turns on lights when car is on when it starts getting dark... people always tell me at store and stuff my lights are on... i say they shut off on there own...
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 73nancy View Post
        hey guys have a question for you. have had the car for awhile and everytime i used to shut the car off then turn the headlights off they went out. now within the last week i tunr my car off hit hit the headlight switch and the lights stay on for a few sec then sounds like a relay clicks and kills the lights. im not sure if this is what they are supposed to do orginally because it never did that untill now. let me know if any of you have cars that do the same thing im going on a 1900 mile trip soon and want to make sure everything is working right. thanks ryan
        Congrats, you just found out you have autolamps! It's a nice feature to have! There's a knob behind the pull out switch that controls the delay. Turn it all the way to the left, and it turns off the auto lamps, the more you turn it to the right, the longer the timed delay. I think the longest is 30 seconds.

Comment

yep, autolamp. Cool feature but I always set the delay to the shortest possible so the lights shut off while I'm still near the car.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yep, autolamp. Cool feature but I always set the delay to the shortest possible so the lights shut off while I'm still near the car.
            I do the same thing...for what reason...Not really sure as to why but it makes two of us who does it.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ok thanks guys i must have hit it when i turned them off never knew my car had them. def cool so now i know.

Comment

hahaha. I think I had the same confusion when I first got this car...
                One time turned the dome lights on by accident and didn't know how to get them off. I spent an hour looking for a faulty door switch!!

Comment

lawl I remember that you posted about it.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

ya i knew the dome light was to the left.i never even looked at the dial behind the pull out knob.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      I do the same thing...for what reason...Not really sure as to why but it makes two of us who does it.
                      3 of us
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I liked the little delay you could dial in. It made it nice if you parked somewhere dark the car would light your way for a minute or so. My current ride with all its "technology" shuts the lights off immediately when you shut the car off. I believe Panther's lost the ability to control the delay with the restyle in 03.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                          I liked the little delay you could dial in. It made it nice if you parked somewhere dark the car would light your way for a minute or so. My current ride with all its "technology" shuts the lights off immediately when you shut the car off. I believe Panther's lost the ability to control the delay with the restyle in 03.
                          No. It's just changed by different means. Through the computer. Customer Preference stuff. You need a scan tool, but I'm pretty sure only the factory scan tool will do it though. So you might just have to have stealership change it.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            No. It's just changed by different means. Through the computer. Customer Preference stuff. You need a scan tool, but I'm pretty sure only the factory scan tool will do it though. So you might just have to have stealership change it.
                            Actually, believe this or not the dealer said even with their computer they couldn't change it. I was surprised at that.

On my previous car, the dealer had no problem changing it, like you said.
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

requiring a trip to the dealer to plug in a fancy tool to do the same job a simple knob did is not exactly progress in my book.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X