n00b questions re: fuel pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n00b questions re: fuel pump install

Eventually I'll have the entire fuel system replaced but I'm starting with the pump. Mine whines like no fuel pump I've ever heard before....it's sounded the same for about two years now and hasn't given me any problems, but if I'm redoing the whole system I might as well start at the source.

stupid question time:

Can it be done with the tank in place?

What else should I replace besides the pump itself? Does the wiring for the pump run externally for any considerable length that should be replaced due to age/corrosion/etc?

What lph is the stock Panther pump? I believe Fox pumps are interchangeable but I want to make sure I'm right in thinking that. Is there a downside to having a pump "too big"? Or is that like having too wide an exhaust pipe?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

on your 90 yes, fuel pump and sending unit are on the exposed side of the tank, you need a low tank of fuel, (very important, ask gmgt about his ear) a brass punch, and a hammer to remove the retaining ring......make sure the seal stays in place or you will leak fuel when you fill the tank

i think the panther pump is 90lph dont quote me on that tho

clean the wiring connections and put some dielectric grease on them

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks!
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        you need a low tank of fuel, (very important, ask gmgt about his ear)
        clean the wiring connections and put some dielectric grease on them

alright, gmgt, what's this i hear about your ear?
        sigpic

Comment

The upgraded Mustang pump can be put in there with no modifications mang. There's not really a downside to a bigger fuel pump. The fuel system will take what it needs, and the FPR will send out the rest.

Like for example, I did some research on my replacement fuel pump. It's a stock replacement from Airtex. It's rated at 50Gph, which is roughly 190lph. With a Max PSI rating of 100psi. That's a huge upgrade over the original fuel pump. So my fuel pump has the capability of supplying more than the stock stuff requires, but it will work just the same.

Comment

So stock SEFI pump is 25gph? Ick. Panther carb pumps were 30 and 40gph.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              The upgraded Mustang pump can be put in there with no modifications mang. There's not really a downside to a bigger fuel pump. The fuel system will take what it needs, and the FPR will send out the rest.

Like for example, I did some research on my replacement fuel pump. It's a stock replacement from Airtex. It's rated at 50Gph, which is roughly 190lph. With a Max PSI rating of 100psi. That's a huge upgrade over the original fuel pump. So my fuel pump has the capability of supplying more than the stock stuff requires, but it will work just the same.
              Yours is a stock Panther replacement?

Any issues with Airtex brand at all? The price is right.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                Yours is a stock Panther replacement?

Any issues with Airtex brand at all? The price is right.
                Yes. It's listed as stock replacement for earlier boxes. You have a smaller pump. That particular one won't work in your pickup.

Comment

thanks

would the fuel pump be easier to replace without that pesky rear axle in the way? if i have the coin i might do it when it's apart for the rear end work
                  sigpic

Comment

lol .... seems dropping a tank is lots easier than dropping the axle. I had mine out and back in in the course of an evening this past weekend when the sender lockring was being stubborn.

Comment

Yeah but the axle will be dropped anyway. If it would be remotely easier without the axle in place, I'll try to do it then.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah, good deal. Let us know how that goes?

Comment

everything axle related is easier out of the car from what I've seen (except maybe breaking stubborn bolts free - but that's what a buddy to sit on it is for ). Two jack stands and have at it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

are all of the parts needed here?

sigpic

Comment

Pump, hose, seal, clamps. You need a strainer too. Your set up doesn't use those plastic clips.
                              Don't pull the tank, you can do it with it installed in the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X