Four way flashers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four way flashers...

Anyone have a clue as to why my four way flashers speed up after about three flashes? They flash about twice as fast after the third flash... ALL the bulbs work, so I don't know what the heck it is doing! I have tried different flashers, regular, heavy duty, even electronic... no change. The turn signals flash right, the four ways take off to the races after the third flash.... I would like to get them to flash right, since I do respond to calls in this car, and i use them once i park on scene.... Would like to have them flash slow enough to be seen... they flash so fast, they are not very effective.

Any clues would be helpful!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

That's weird, electronic ones should flash at a regular rate, regardless of how many bulbs are present. Sounds like a wiring issue then.

Comment

probably a resistive contact somewhere that heats up and then makes better contact and better current flow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LOL thats awesome you should leave it.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
        sigpic

Comment

But the Electronic ones should flash at a set interval regardless of amount of resistance.

Comment

unless it's not getting enough voltage in the first place... which is kinda what I'm getting at. it is rather odd that it's a 3 count... no more ... no less before the flash gets faster.

typically with resistive connections it will increase over time.

edit: another idea... is this an older car with the delayed ditch lights? does the speed increase when the ditch light comes on? If so, it could be an additional load that making things vary. (thought about the weirdness that is the ditch lights on my Mark VI... I hope I never have to troubleshoot that mess)
            Last edited by sly; 04-06-2011, 11:20 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

check the grounds

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Is this the '90? I bet it's the POS multifunction switch

Comment

It is a 91... the turn signal switch ( POS multifunction switch) was replaced last year, when I rebuilt the steering column. I do not have "Ditch lights" (Cornering lights) Hey, it's a policecar, they didn't order those!! Will be checking the grounds this weekend... especially the ones near the turn signal lights.
                  Last edited by trwp72; 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

had the same issue in my 85 gm-i changed the flasher relay and it solved the problem. I dont remember which one it was but i recall there is 2 one for the signals and one for the emergency flashers, not sure if they have one or 2 in your car. Just a thought... also my 79 was doing that not sure If i fixed it in that one or not. would have to ask dave if it still does it or not. I have owned too many to keep track sometimes
                    Last edited by Sign of the Cat; 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the belated reply, (Been at work way too much lately, and too busy working on the cars otherwise!) The flasher relays, where are they? Are they the two "cans" plugged into the fuse block like a fuse? If not, where are they? I checked my electrical schematic... that was about as much good as nothing! Thanks in advance.

Comment

yes they're the cans.
                        above your feet. One's looking at you, the other one is hiding behind the one staring at you. The one that's hiding is the fourway flasher.

Comment

and yes... fuse box. Like mentioned... hazard flasher can is on the back side.

Comment

Cool thanks... I'll try that next week when I get a day off....

Comment

Finnally got back to trying to fix this problem... changed out all of the "can" relays on the fuse block, no change... is there a seperate four way flasher, flasher unit? Or does both the turn signals and the four ways "share" the same flasher? All I see is one, if there is another one somewhere, maybe that flasher is the problem? Just wondering....

Comment

Working...
                              X