No announcement yet.

When turning key to "start" position, nothing happens and all lights go black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When turning key to "start" position, nothing happens and all lights go black

Hi mangs,

I had a plan to start the Box aka ´83 Country Squire to change the oils etc. Car has not been driven since november ´10. Only thing that I have done to it before yesterday, is that I´ve disconnected the battery terminals (made in Canada - she has double batteries).

I have been loading the batteries once and while with terminals disconnected. So, yesterday I connected the terminals and turned the ignition key - yes, we have power, gauges and warning lights working, radio works, A/C (well, not A/C but can´t remember the word for the device ) works etc...

But, when turning the key to "start" position, everything goes black and you can´t even hear the starter solenoid (don´t know if that´s right word but...)

So nothing happens. I´ve checked, lubed and tightened all the connections battery-frame-battery-engine etc. and replaced the two worst-looking terminals....actually there was´nt any corrosion anywhere.

I´ve also just loaded the batteries. Maybe the starter or the ignition switch?

OOPS! Sorry mangs!

I forgot that she is equipped w/ start button. Forgetting this was caused by the fact that I´ve only driven her once-the day I bought her last autumn.

I was going to check the fuses and found the button..."WTF this is?!?" -> ignition and lift-off

Comment

heh... DOH!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just think it's incredible how far around the world these American land-barges made it. I mean, freakin Finland?! Wow. Welcome to GMN, man.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
        X