Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuild a/c compressor seals?

Hi!

Alright, so I bought an engine block off a fellow, and he foisted the rest of his clutter of spare 5.0 parts on me! I've now got two extra alternators, and two extra a/c compressors... among some other junk.

I'll probably end up giving much of it away. Anyone interested?

But anyway. Here's what I was wondering. I've heard of a/c compressors imploding, mostly the piston kind I guess, as moving parts are wont to do. My friend's crv has had that issue repeatedly. But beyond that, if the pump still pumps fine, it can also leak freon if the seals dry out. We were taught in class that in fact, the main reason behind the a/c turning on when you turn on defrost, is to exercise the pump, keep its blood moving, so that the seal doesn't dry out over wintertime! Not, primarily, to dry out the air; though that's a secondary effect.

So if there's ever a case for dried seals, this guys extra scrap parts that were working when he last pulled them from whatever sort of donor car but now have sat a couple years in a shed, are definitely going to be candidates.

Should my compressor ever go, can I easily replace the seals before installing one of these spares?
    Or is that another one of those lame nonserviceables that manufacturers seem so fond of these days, a perfectly good compressor ruined because a rubber ring can't be gotten to?

the compressors are rebuild bait for sure. They may be fine, but replacing the seals would definitely be a good idea. The alternators (depending on which version) may be highly desired. as for the process of replacing the seals in the compressors... no clue. never done it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I only know they're "stock," not a particularly high-amp aftermarket or anything.
      Were there some stock alternators on mustangs that were still better than my 65amp stock alternator?

Comment

yeah, I'd be curious if anyone knows if replacing the seals can be done.

Comment

Working...
        X