Short in wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short in wiring harness

Last night, my car's tailights, dash lights and interior lights went out... So today I went to the junkyard... And got a new headlight switch out of a 1990 Towncar. Came home, installed it, and then put the new fuses in, and everything worked except the tailights were dim... So I opened the trunk to check the grounds, and the entire trunk was full of smoke! It looked like a scene out of "Up in Smoke" by Cheech and Chong... so I pulled all the carpeting back, and low and behold, the wiring harness going to the trunk lid, (The trunk lock, and the trunk light) Was melted at the plug, and smoking badly... So I turned the car off, and cut the wire before the plug... The plug, and the wire about 4 inches on either side was melted, in fact one side was bare wires! So since it is so hard to get to, (I could barely get to it to cut the wire, to be able to drive the car to work...) I will be pulling the wiring harness from the trunk back into the back seat so I can get to the wire where I cut it.. and putting a new wire in, and this time I will be using marine shrink wrap to give it some resistance from getting cut if it rubs against something... (I LOVE that stuff!) I'm also going to slide some on the wire, then figure out where it will pass any sharp edges, and place it there and shrink it... for the entire wire... (Alot of sharp edges on the trunk lid)

I think the short caused the headlight switch to go bad, since that circuit is on the interior light circuit... which then shorted out the headlight switch... didn't melt any wiring tho, like it usually does on the light switch plug... Altho the small plug at the back with the three wires was melted just a little bit.. replaced that too.... (I got an extra set of plugs from the junk yard today, just in case)

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

yeah that would do it. Gotta love electrical gremlins when they let the smoke out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think next week when I am off, I'm going to track down ALL grounds, take them off, clean them, apply some anti corrosion paste, and re-install them... And check ALL connections... looking for loose connection inside the plugs, to corrosion, to plugs melted, etc... I don't like electrical shorts, and I absolutely hate seeing large amounts of smoke pouring from my car!!!!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
      Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
      X