Gauge install gone bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge install gone bad

Okay so I got this gauge for like $16. It came with a sender and some adapters. Today I spent a few hours setting it up and the damn thing doesn’t work.

Here is what I did:

- Installed new sending unit
    - Ran coated copper wire from gauge in cockpit to the new sending unit on the intake
    - Attached the ground to a panel underneat the dash
    - Spliced into the power supply at the coin tray light so that the gauge would dim with the dash lights.

The new guage DOES light up, and when I dim the interior lights, the gauge dims too. However the gauge is not picking up any temp results (the needle doesn’t move).

Here are some pics.

The temp sender connected to an adapter

The temp sender installed in the manifold

The 'grounding tray' that I attached the ground to

The dimmer power source. I spliced the red wire (which came already attached to the gauge and with inline fuse) to the existing blue wire.

The gauge, with working backlight, but no working needle

Any thoughts as to why the gauge would light up but not read any temps?
    How should I troubleshoot?

light and sense are two different wires. there should be a 12v source wire as well for the gauge since it grounds through the sensor. 12V to needle to sensor grounded through engine.

If it only has a 12V line and not a specific "dimmer" line, then you'll have to run it to a 12v source (ACC or RUN source) to get it to register properly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh shit, I did not have the instrux on me when I did the install (left em at work).

Now that I have the instrux in front of me, it looks like I need to run 2 more wires. One from the gauge to a ground and one from the guage to a 12V source. Does that sound right?
      Attached Files

Comment

the + lug to a 12V source... the - lug to ground and the S to the sensor. The top 2 wire is just the light bulb.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Slymer!

Comment

interesting. Mines a mechanical gauge though. its got the sending unit hardwired to the gauge, and then a + for 12v for lights and a - for ground.

The one Im having trouble with is the oil pressure gauge. No matter what I do, the plastic tube will not stay tight in the gauge or in the adapter.

Comment

Eeek, easy on the teflon thread tape. I put a little too much on once and it cracked the intake as I threaded it in. One wrap if any is all i use anymore, maybe its just my luck though. Gauge looks pretty good for the price, especially considering it came with the sender and adapters.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Last night I hooked up a ground wire from gauge to dash bracket and I temporarily hooked up a power wire from guage to constant 12V power source in the radio harness. I did one run with that setup and the gauge works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then unhooked the 12V constant power wire and made the gauge inoperable for the time being b/c I need to find a 12V Run or Acc source not a constant hot source. Otherwise the gauge will run at all hours and itll run down the battery.

I am going to do some searching on the forum but can anyone think of an easy to reach 12V Run or Acc source? ? ?

Thanks Mangs!

FatNasty - thanks for the tip. Yea when I was removing the old temp sensor I was terrified of cracking the manifold. I used a deep socket (think it was 13/16) to fit over the old temp sensor but it didn’t want to budge. I almost called the whole thing off when the old temp sensor did not budge w/ a shorter ratchet but I decided to just nudge it with a longer breaker bar on there before giving up on the project. Thankfully it came out.

For the install of the new sensor I only torqued it to 8 or 10 foot pounds. I had not thought about the possibility of intake cracking from too much telfon tape but thats good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
                  Eeek, easy on the teflon thread tape. I put a little too much on once and it cracked the intake as I threaded it in. One wrap if any is all i use anymore, maybe its just my luck though. Gauge looks pretty good for the price, especially considering it came with the sender and adapters.
                  x2 teflon tape is bad mmk the paste works just as well if not better
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Teflon tape is used as a lubricant so you can screw the fittings together tighter. The actual seal is from the tapered threads, and cranking things in too tight can crack stuff. Don't need much tape, a wrap or two is plenty. The paste serves the same purpose.

Jon: copper tube is your friend.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would disagree that the paste is better than the tape. In my experience, a wrap or so of tape seals better.

I went through this with a heater hose fitting on my truck (rerouted the hose for the NOVI). I tried the paste, and the damn thing kept leaking. I took it apart and taped it, on a hunch, and never had another issue.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Jon. You need to make sure that you have a ferrell over the line in between the gauge and hex nut as well as the adapter and hex nut. The ferrell is what makes the seal and seats the line where it needs to be. It basically needs to be crushed. Also boil a pot of water and throw the nylon line into it..this will uncoil it and make it easy to work with. I have had a nylon line for about a year in my car with no problems..I then sold it and upgraded to electrical..but it had nothing to do with the nylon malfunctioning.

As far as seals go..I like tape.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Jon. You need to make sure that you have a ferrell over the line in between the gauge and hex nut as well as the adapter and hex nut. The ferrell is what makes the seal and seats the line where it needs to be. It basically needs to be crushed. Also boil a pot of water and throw the nylon line into it..this will uncoil it and make it easy to work with. I have had a nylon line for about a year in my car with no problems..I then sold it and upgraded to electrical..but it had nothing to do with the nylon malfunctioning.

As far as seals go..I like tape.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X