Jumpy Oil Pressure gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumpy Oil Pressure gauge.

I installed an electrical oil pressure gauge early in the year and in the past couple of months the gauge has been acting wonky on me. It will jump around a bit(over 25 PSI or so) from 25 psi to 50 approximately. It comes and goes in no pattern that I have noticed as of yet.

I looked up the issue a bit and some say OPS, shorted wires, others say spun bearing or something like that. Car runs fine and does not make any unusual noises. What would you think the issue be? I have a spare OPS that I will likely throw in once, but not till I order some fender covers and the weather warms up.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I installed an electrical oil pressure gauge early in the year and in the past couple of months the gauge has been acting wonky on me. It will jump around a bit(over 25 PSI or so) from 25 psi to 50 approximately. It comes and goes in no pattern that I have noticed as of yet.

I looked up the issue a bit and some say OPS, shorted wires, others say spun bearing or something like that. Car runs fine and does not make any unusual noises. What would you think the issue be? I have a spare OPS that I will likely throw in once, but not till I order some fender covers and the weather warms up.
    Do it from the underneath, then you won't touch your paint.
    What is the oil gauge normally at, way back when?

Comment

Around 50 cold, and 25 warm. Now it just fluctuates within that range.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Around 50 cold, and 25 warm. Now it just fluctuates within that range.
        Kinda strange that it's there.
        So you can just sit there and the PSI changes?

If it's the wires, can't you just turn the key on and see if it acts weird?
        If it doesn't do it then, then you've eliminated the wires being the cause. Unless you got like plug wires over the wiring for that gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Kinda strange that it's there.
          So you can just sit there and the PSI changes?

If it's the wires, can't you just turn the key on and see if it acts weird?
          If it doesn't do it then, then you've eliminated the wires being the cause. Unless you got like plug wires over the wiring for that gauge.
          I havent checked just sitting with the key on and engine off to see if it happens then. I am using the stock wiring...how that is routed is beyond me. My water temp gauge is done the same way and has no problems whatsoever. I kinda think it is the sensor but I like to hear different opinions on the situation.
          ~David~

Comment

I havent checked just sitting with the key on and engine off to see if it happens then. I am using the stock wiring...how that is routed is beyond me. My water temp gauge is done the same way and has no problems whatsoever. I kinda think it is the sensor but I like to hear different opinions on the situation.
            What do you mean the stock wiring? you mean for the idiot lights?

Comment

Yeah. I repined the gauge cluster harness, and soldered the gauge wiring on the printed circuit istself. My gauge cluster is plug and play. I made sure to snip the bulb test wiring within the steering column as to ensure it does not peg the gauges on startup.
              ~David~

Comment

Yeah. I repined the gauge cluster harness, and soldered the gauge wiring on the printed circuit istself. My gauge cluster is plug and play. I made sure to snip the bulb test wiring within the steering column as to ensure it does not peg the gauges on startup.
                Would be a good way to see if they go all the way haha.

Comment

Some gauges just don't have very smooth movements because of how close together the pressure markings are. Mine sort of ticks and flutters like that. I really would like to have 270 sweep gauges instead of the 120 or whatever it has currently just for that reason.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine does the same thing, the engine is about a year old... So I think it is just the sending unit... I have the gauge that goes in the dash where the clock usually goes... (Police Package gauge) It usually starts acting up after it warms up. When it is cold, it works fine... I ran a wire direct from the gauge when I installed it, because the car didn't have the set up when I bought it... I got the wiring harness with it except for trying to remove the wire going out to the sending unit... So I do not think it is a wiring problem, check your sending unit first...
                    Last edited by trwp72; 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Okay so consensus says sending unit. The erratic behavior does make sense with the little increments but it acted smoother, actually way smoother when first installed. Looks like I will be replacing the sender. I have a spare that I bought accidentally....just blows that the sender is less than a year old. I really hope I had a bum sender and this thing does not bug out again.

With the gauge in the speedometer it just gets irritating seeing it spasm while the gauge just across from it behaves nicely.

I was concerned that something like this could mean something oil related in the motor was acting up.
                      ~David~

Comment

It could be the the gauge, but I'd also check your ground.

In the past I have used nothing but mechanical gauges, because they are affordable in full sweep form. I also think of them as being more accurate.

This time, though, I bought electric gauges, with the exception of vacuum, which I haven't bought yet. I hope it wasn't a mistake...

Being that I bought Autometer, though, I'm hoping that I shouldn't have any issues.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I'd check the connection to the sender first (corrosion free and snug). If the wire is loose... it'll act like that too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I checked the connection the other day and it is clean. It had great continuity to ground through the housing as well when installed. I don't see how that would change over time but who knows?

For my set up mechanical would have been a horrible choice. Would have to fish a twelve foot hose out of the car anytime the speedometer needed to be pulled. :no:
                            ~David~

Comment

things wiggle loose. I'd give the sensor wire a clean off and put it back on just for a test at any rate. If that doesn't fix it... and the wire to the gauge itself is all good as well... then I'd look at the sensor. But then I like to find ways to not buy new parts unless I have no time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X