Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy way to dis-able check engine light??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone.

I actually think it's either a vac leak (lines are original) or the lights wonky.....I say that because I've been having a hard time getting the self test to run. KOER I can get after a few tries, KOEO don't seem to want to work anymore. This is with the morse-code tester thingy BTW.

I'm not ready to deal with this problem right now......plain and simple.
    (unless I can get at all the vac lines with the plenum in place?)

I have an HO upper I want to put on......but I can't do that till I get the extra lopo spacer I have bored out. I was planning to do all that, VC gaskets and all new vac lines at the same time (and EGR if that's the issue).

I will do all this......just not right now. (time and money issue)(LOL)
    I just want the stupid light to stay off.

Is it easy to check EGR?.......seriously......I have NFC.........
    If it's just a simple unbolt the old and try a spare.....no problem......can do.
    I don't have a vac guage, so if I need one of those I'm SOL.

Thanks again.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

if you have a spare valve, swap it out and see if anything changes. No guarantee the spare is good if you don't have a vacuum pump, but you never know.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Next time the light comes on, don't shut the car off, get it to where you're going, ground the self test input connector. That light will flash any codes that it had during that trip, even if the light went out afterwards. The EEC-IV doesn't really store codes. If you turn the engine off, unless it sees the problem again, it's not gonna turn on the light. The later ones (1993 +) store codes they were getting ready for OBD-II.

You can check the EGR function by pulling the cap on the EVR solenoid on the back? Of your intake manifold (I think that's where it is) The solenoid with the green and red wires and vacuum hoses. Pull the cap off (check the filter while you're in there if its deteriorated get rid of it) Start the car, put your finger over the hole in the middle of the solenoid. You will force vacuum to the egr valve (if vacuum is present at the solenoid), and the idle should change.
        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks mang!
          I will check on that stuff when I get the chance.
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

You can check the EGR function by pulling the cap on the EVR solenoid on the back? Of your intake manifold (I think that's where it is) The solenoid with the green and red wires and vacuum hoses. Pull the cap off (check the filter while you're in there if its deteriorated get rid of it) Start the car, put your finger over the hole in the middle of the solenoid. You will force vacuum to the egr valve (if vacuum is present at the solenoid), and the idle should change.
            pics or linky?

I pulled the line off the egr valve and there was presssure coming out of it. (motor running)
            Didn't feel any pressure leaking out of the EGR....but don't know if that means anything.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

the line to the egr should pull vacuum, not supply pressure (hopefully this is just a mix-up of terms).

there should not be any pressure or vacuum on the egr nipple. If you ever get pressure there with the vacuum line off, the egr valve is screwed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine is throwing the EGR insufficient flow code. I removed my CEL bulb with no adverse side effect because I know it is there I don't need to see it. I will fix the problem at some point but I would rather just check the codes every so often than have the CEL. But mine is a 95 not a box.

Comment

you probably just need to clean the EGR channel out of the intake elbow. I've had to do this a couple of times on my 93 so far.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00015.html <-- info here

Pics of the crud and cleaned from my 93 here:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

the line to the egr should pull vacuum, not supply pressure (hopefully this is just a mix-up of terms).
                    Not a mix-up........but I will check again.

I could not get my code reader to work at all. I tested the reader, the battery is good (it's the plain old morse code kind). It worked fine when I got it (new) last year......then only on the KOER mode (after a few tries)......and now not at all........
                    Makes me think even more that the engine light is wonky........
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I've always gotten a sort of buzzy feeling from the egr line. I dont really know why, but it seems normalish. It does not pull vacuum or produce pressure though. Its actually impossible for it to make any pressure from the regulator.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pulsing at idle, yeah... but at cruise it should be pretty solid pull. I've never had an EGR line try to push my finger off the hose. The one on my 88 has a slight pull at all times too, which made it easy to plug and test the stupid thing once when I was figuring out the IAC was almost clogged. If it created pressure, it would try to blow the hose off the EGR.

Comment

Then I guess it's that pulse thing (or buzzing thing).....I dunno.....
                          There wasn't much too it.....whatever it is.
                          Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

in that case... no worries on that front.

Comment

Ground the one wire and hook up your code reader to the trapezoid plug.

Comment

I will give that a shot.
                                Former panther owner
                                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Working...
                                X