Wiring the new center console...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring the new center console...

I figured since I wasn't going to the Chicago car show, and I am off till next Wed... I would get the new center console in and wired... CORRECTLY this time! So here is progress pictures....

I have already taken the old console out... pulled back the carpet, since this one is going to be wired differently... and this is what I found.... I don't remember all these wires from the first time! All of the wires wer tucked into the radio cable conduent, (The black square plastic peice running along the rocker panel) This is in all Ford police cars to run wires in...

MOST of these will be gone, but I have to figure out what I need to keep!
    Only wires from the new console will be the two power wires, two for the Horn / siren switch, the back light power from the dash lights circuit, Two speaker wires going out to the grille area for the siren, and one wire going to the headlight flasher.

The new "Troy Products" console, all wired and ready to go in the car....

I bought this on e-bay, sandblasted it, primed it, then shot it with bedliner spray.
    gives it a powder coat finish, without the cost... and is pretty tuff stuff... I sprayed my laptop stand with it about 5 years ago... still looks new. I also had to get one of the mounts sort of cut out to fit my radio.. $20.00 at the welding shop... cheaper than what Troy wanted for the radio mount... $60.00!

Cup holders I installed on the front of the console... since my car has no cupholders... one is folded up...

The two fuse blocks inside the console. This flips down for access to the fuses... That is actually two fuse blocks, the right side is "hot" all the time, the one on the left is "switched" to come on with the key... Both sides are supplied with a 6 gauge wire, direct from the battery. The "switched" one comes from the starter relay, so it is only on with the key. Both circuits will go thru two 80 amp resetable circuit breakers. (One for each circuit)
    The second 6 gauge wire you see on the right side is going to the redlights switch panel... wanted to make sure I had plenty of juice for the lightbar... I just used that terminal for the connection... it does not go thru the fuse panel...

I had to make a removable mount for my armrest, so the armrest will fit over the bolts under the flip down, and then secure with lock washers and wingnuts, so if I blow a fuse, I don't need tools to get to the fuses.

The six gauge supply wire.. I got a roll of 50 feet of this stuff when "Boaters World" went out of business... It is marine grade, with a silicone outside jacket to protect it from moisture... altho it is a bitch to strip the insulation when making connections! I also used marine grade heat shrink for all connections... (Also from Boaters World) including the connections inside the console. The marine grade has a glue coating inside that melts when you heat it... and seals the connection completely.

The large plugs, (laying on top of the console "feet" red, black, and one you can't see in the picture, grey) are going to the lightbar... There is three matching plugs on the lightbar cable... and they only will plug into the same color plug, so they are "indexed" to only fit a certain way.

For once, ALL of the lightbar circuits will work when the lightbar is on the car.... Takedowns, alleys, rear flash, and the rotators... Before I only had the back flashers and the rotators hooked up for shows. This wire will be routed to under the drivers seat, then hooked up for shows... by running the lightbar cable in by the back door, and plugging it in to these plugs...

More to come....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Console in....

Center console is in, all that is left to do is to wire the main two electical feeds from the battery, and hook up some other wires, and put the passenger seat back in the car... Here is some pictures.... (the driver side seat, and the armrest is in, just forgot to take pictures of that!)

Before:

Going thru the wiring...

After the excess wiring was taken out...

The wires going out the corner of the door, will be pulled as soon as I use them for "Fish" wires to pull the new power wires to the battery, thru the firewall... The remaining wires have been run thru the carpet to the center console area, and will be connected tommorow morning.

Extra wires cut out.. I have another pile of wires in the house, at least three times bigger than this pile.

Notice the new seatbelt sleeves... they look brand new!

Also the yellow wire on the drivers side is the wire going to the oil pressure sending unit... finnally going to pull the idiot light sending unit, and install my factory oil pressure gauge...
    Been in the car for almost two years.. decided to go ahead and hook it up, as long as I was under the dash today. (I was laying on my back on the floor under the dash tracing wires for about 2 hours today... GOD I am getting too old to do that sort of thing!) I figured since the seats were out of the car, it would be the easiest way to do it....

More to come....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

That was a lotta spaghetti!

If i lived closer to you I'da volunteered to come do all the contortionist under dash wiring and help tidy things... i love that kinda stuff...!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Nice work...i really like the console. I love seeing stuff like this...especially when I am not a part of it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looking good. I am I wiring geek my self so I enjoy this stuff.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

wow, spaghetti indeed. I hate messy wiring like that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The beautiful thing about all of that is when you wire up all of that spaghetti you and only you will ever know what each wire is actually for. To some it looks like a mess but I am sure you can name what each piece of wire is for. At least that is how it works with my spaghetti.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The underside of my dash used to look like spiderwebs until i re-did it all, lol
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Same here..till my hands constantly got caught and I tided everything up with zip ties!
                  ~David~

Comment

The beautiful thing about all of that is when you wire up all of that spaghetti you and only you will ever know what each wire is actually for. To some it looks like a mess but I am sure you can name what each piece of wire is for. At least that is how it works with my spaghetti.
                    No more spaghetti... it is gone. most of that wire is now gone... there is FIVE wires left going to the console from under the dash (Two for the horn / siren setup, one from the dash lights for back lights on the console, one for the dash red light, one to turn on the headlight flasher, and FOUR wires going to under the hood. (Two speaker wires, and two 6 guage power wires going to the battery.) They are also bundled neatly, and has flex conduient (split loom) covering all of the wires... The car is coming together! Also every one of the wires are labeled. At both ends, and in the middle, so tracing a bad circuit will be much easier.
                    Last edited by trwp72; 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Here is some pictures of the progress... hopefully I will get the battery connections and the other connections done tonight after work...

Notice the seat trim... found all new looking pieces in the past few weeks at the junkyrad, then redyed them so thay all matched (Two of them were dark blue) I even redyed the seatbelt sleeves, and all of the other trim.... used SEM products...

The new console in

The old console, about 10 years ago when I first redid the interior.

Comment

So. Fucking. Cool.

that is all
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Well, haven't had time to do much work on this project, as we have been TWO people short at work... So I have been working ALOT of overtime! (120 hours... 80 regular + 40 OT, this pay period alone!) So this week I was off Wed and Thu, so I got a little more done. Also, the heat has eased off some... been sort of cool in the mornings lately. (75 degrees this morning when I went to work, at 05:00) It WAS 80 degreees and up early in the morning... with at least 90% humidity.

First, I got all of the wiring ran and straightened out into the console. all of the wiring is now zip tied, and put into the split loom tubing... I will get more pictures of that tonight, I ran out of light Thursday, and didn't get a chance to get a picture of it... needless to say, when you look under the hood, all you see is splitloom, so it all looks factory... You can't tell whats aftermarket. After I get this project done, I plan to re-wrap, with split loom, all of the wiring under the hood. Again, I bought a bunch of rolls of it, in assorted sizes, when Boaters World went out of business.

The relay and circuit breaker setup...

One of the large black wires coming off the battery is going thru the 100 amp circuit breaker, and then going directly to the console for the always "on" circuit. This goes to the lightbar switch panel, and one of the fuse blocks in the console. Also the ground and positive wire going to the lighbar plug is also 6 gauge wire. This was to improve power to the lightbar, so the lights will be brighter, and work better, without tripping circuit breakers. (It kept tripping the breakers for the last two Chicagoland shows, during the parades...Won't happen anymore!)
                          The other 6 gauge wire is going to a constant duty solenoid, that will be the "switched" side of the console, so when I shut off the key, the radio, and siren will turn off. (And anything else I may want to add to that fuse panel) When it leaves the solenoid, it goes thru a 40 amp circuit breaker, then into the car to the console to the other fuse block. Anything on this circuit is protected by fuses on the fuse block. The radio and siren will be plugged into this fuse block, inside the console. This cuts down on all the wires going under the dash!

All of the connections, including the smaller solenoid wire terminals are shrink wrapped, with the same marine shrink wrap material. The shrink wrap has a glue inside, so when you heat it, the glue liquifies, and melts into the connection to seal out any moisture. The wiring is ALL marine grade wire. Monday I'm going to set the lightbar on the roof to test it... so I will get more pictures then. I am going to let it run for about an hour, to make sure it doesn't trip the circuit breakers any more. My Dad was an electrician, and he used to call this the "acid" test!

I also got to run the wire for the oil pressure gauge, also in split loom. going to have that hooked up when I get a chance this week. I also sealed all of the grommets i used to pass the wires thru, so no water leaks...

Comment

Working...
                          X