Courtsey Lights Stay lit at all times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courtsey Lights Stay lit at all times

I noticed that the p. side light plunger was fubared up (stuck solid). Okay so I pull that out and still everything stays lit. The headlight switch is not in the DOME position and the weird thing is that both wire leading into the plunger switch for the p.side door has +power to it. My dad says that it may be the headlamp switch. What is going on?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

constant hot is going to both the power wire and the trigger wire for the plunger/switch? is it normal on the drivers side? headlight switch would be my first guess.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Pull out each plunger and unplug one at a time until the dome light shuts off. Cycle the key on/off after each one you unplug otherwise you'll need to wait ~30sec for the coutesty light timer to time out. (do the drivers door last-as its the "master")

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
        constant hot is going to both the power wire and the trigger wire for the plunger/switch? is it normal on the drivers side? headlight switch would be my first guess.
        Constants hot to both wires leading to the switch on the p.side. Havent checked the d.side though it does kill the chime when the door is open and key in ignition.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
        Pull out each plunger and unplug one at a time until the dome light shuts off. Cycle the key on/off after each one you unplug otherwise you'll need to wait ~30sec for the coutesty light timer to time out. (do the drivers door last-as its the "master")

Alex.
        p.side is out, I will check out the d.side though it does kill the sound of the key warning when the key is in the ignition.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Lights still stay on with all door switches unplugged.
          ~David~

Comment

I assumed it was 3 wires like my door switches. Disregard.

At least you ruled out the door jamb switches!
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Three wire on d.side switch and two on p.side switch. Yeah....door switches rules out even though I need a new p.side one because was broken already.
              ~David~

Comment

Put it back until you get a new one...leak point
                sigpic

Comment

It is in. Definitely a major leak point.
                  ~David~

Comment

Unplug the headlamp switch. If it still doesn't shut off, its got to be in the autolamp module if you have one. If you don't have one, dig out the EVTM and start checking stuff cuz I've got NFC.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah next step will be to unplug the bastard. I have to build up some patience to attempt that though. Look at the EVTM I believe it is the headlamp switch just because the black and light blue wire that is a triggered hot from the switch is hot all the time now all around causing all of the damn lights to go on. I have all lights unplugged now to protect against battery drain I just need to pull the effing switch out. Freaking pita

as far as auto lamp module I have a auto lamp relay and lamp sensor. Thats all. The bulk of the auto lamp crap is in the headlight switch
                      ~David~

Comment

I think the autolamp module has an output to kick the interior lamps on when you pull up on the door handle, doesn't it? If so, unplug the module and see what happens. Might be you have a door handle switch failed and its tripped on.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I believe what you are thinking of is the illuminated entry timer, and yes that was pulled to find out whether or not the door handle switches were bad and and everything still lit up constantly. No such thing as an auto lamp module according to my EVTM.
                          ~David~

Comment

Is there a fuse I can pull that would kill the headlight switches power and not the courtesy light power? Trying to figure out a way to diagnose the problem without pulling the headlight switch out while not having a new one ready to install.
                            ~David~

Comment

looks as if there is no fuse separated between courtesy light power and manual dome power.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X