No announcement yet.

Courtsey Lights Stay lit at all times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any chance the wires at the dome/map light are touchingor reversed? The map lights are hot all the time, while the domes are hot with the door jamb, headlight switch or illum entry. Could be a short to power in that harness too ..just a thought since you just put the headliner back in.....
    sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

Even with dome light housing removed the problem persists.

Can you elaborate more on a "short to power in that harness" What/which wire in particular are you thinking of?

EDIT: Just so anyone can follow along. I am looking at my diagram in my EVTM for my Crown Victoria pages 70-71. My problem is this: The back and light blue wire somehow has CONSTANT power when it should only have triggered power. (triggered through door switches (that was ruled out) and through Illuminated entry timer, as well as the main light switch (headlight switch)).

DOUBLE EDIT: I have looked at this thread too and it seems similar: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=lights+stay
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have an 86 EVTM, but they are similar if not exact circuits. As you know, the circuit 53 BK/LB wires supply power to the constantly grounded courtesy lights through either the door jamb switches (you eliminated that), the illuminated entry module (ditto) or the headlamp switch. With all those unhooked and you still have constant power on 53, either a wire is shorted to another constant power wire (like 54 LG/Y at the map light) or is being back fed by another circuit. 54 feeds the cigar lighters, map lights, vanity mirrors and power door locks as well as the headlamp switch and illum. entry module. Anywhere they could could be physically touching or for example a screw pierced both the 53 and 54 wires would power 53 (and thus the lights) It wouldn't blow a fuse cause 53 is normally fed by 54 (unless the screw was also grounded).

I don't see any commonality to the auto lamp system except it is also fed from fuse 8, but that is on the 54 circuit side. I take it this started when you put the interior in?

The headlamps are fed from the buss bar on the back of the fuse box, from the same fusible link (cuircuit 38)as the courtesy lamps etc so no easy was to unhook it
        sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

What they are referring to as the autolamp system (in the other thread) is in fact the headlight switch for autolamp equipped cars. autolamp=headlight switch in this case.

Yes this happened sometime during my install. Has p.side door open for mostly the entire installment. For a short period circuit 53 was grounded and causing the courtesy lights to dim. Noticed that it was grounding at the map light and I fixed the problem and the courtesy lights went back to normal. No idea exactly when I noticed the problem though.

EDIT: I also am pretty sure I did not accidentally short 53 with 54.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You got a 4 door? The rear doors also have jam switches.

Alex.

Comment

Two door.
              ~David~

Comment

You physically unplugged the illuminated entry module (to the right of the steering column near the ground buss) and the lights still stayed on, correct? I KNOW it is a major PITA to unplug the headlamp switch but that really needs to be next. If that doesn't make the lights go out, you'll have to use the componemt location guide in the EVTM and disconnect connectors in the 53 circuit one at a time to isolate the problem. Start in the area you were working in and progress back toward the IP. When they go out you have at least narrowed down the area you have to take back apart.

With the 53 having been grounded accidentally I would suspect a solid state module like illum entry. I wish I was closer to help you out, alas NYC is a long way from Podunk OH!

Comment

Yep unplugged the illuminated entry. Will check again to make sure then move on to the headlight switch etc...
                  ~David~

Comment

When you turn the headlight know fully clockwise (to turn on the dome light) is it clicking on and off, or just going through its rotation freely? If no click/resistance to turning at the fully clockwise posistion headlight switch is your definate culprit.

Alex.

Comment

The switch was always finiky. From the day I replaced it (sometime in 2006) there was no DEFINITIVE click into position but a very suddle jump that my dad never even noticed (numerous times I had to yell at him to turn the lights off because he had no idea he put it into the dome position). I know my old switch gave a very affirmative click when put into the dome position. This could very well be the problem.
                      ~David~

Comment

just saw this this AM, looks to be an autolamp switch

Comment

Originally posted by cadfan64 View Post
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

just saw this this AM, looks to be an autolamp switch
                          Yep that is an autolamp switch. The dead giveaway is the funky harness popping out of it. This is even cheaper than the ones in the part store. Thanks.
                          ~David~

Comment

Checked the illuminated entry timer again and that is not the problem. Gonna have to pull the headlight switch next next and see. How does that come out again???
                            ~David~

Comment

Pulled the headliner down to check for any shorts to power and there was nothing wrong. Pulled the plug for the power for the roof shit from behind the drivers side door and that was showing power to it but no power coming down from above (which it cant be any other way lol) pulled the door latch plugs as well as the door jamb switches and the illuminated entry timer and the headlight switch and the lights were still on inside the car. I just gave up.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Pulled the headliner down to check for any shorts to power and there was nothing wrong. Pulled the plug for the power for the roof shit from behind the drivers side door and that was showing power to it but no power coming down from above (which it cant be any other way lol) pulled the door latch plugs as well as the door jamb switches and the illuminated entry timer and the headlight switch and the lights were still on inside the car. I just gave up.

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X