Chrome Dome Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Dome Light

Has anyone ever attempted to mount a standard dome light with the map lights for the back seat occupants on the headliner? If so any pics?

Danny
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L V8, 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 5.0L V8, 1979 Lincoln Mark V 6.6L V8, 1977 Lincoln Continental 7.5L V8, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 5.7L V8

That's one of my projects soon. I have the coach roof, and plan to mount the light on the rear window trim panel when I re-cover it. I'l have pics, probably some time next week, including wiring.

Craig
    sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

fantasic Craig. Yeah pics would be great!
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L V8, 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 5.0L V8, 1979 Lincoln Mark V 6.6L V8, 1977 Lincoln Continental 7.5L V8, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 5.7L V8

Comment

does your car have the coach (smaller rear window) roof? I'll poke around and see how it could be mounted either way.
        sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

I don't believe it does Craig, while mine does have the factory half vinyl roof from the center to the rear, it has the standard trim around the rear window. I think I understand what your getting at, on yours the roof comes far enough down the glass that the dome light will not be seen from the outside whereas mine will.

Comment

Yeah, that is part of the concern. The coah roof has a wide fiberglass trim that covers part of the rear window, and it is heavy enough to support the lamp. Since yours has the full size rear window, it may show from the outside but also need to find a place to mount the lamp. I am going to make up a 3 wire harness and snake it up to the front lamp to get my 2 power wires and a ground

Comment

pics of coach roof, also shows why I need to re-cover it!!
              Attached Files

Comment

nice....i dont have an armrest in my back seat either...you coach roof guys got all the nice things
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yeah I see what you mean. If I were you I’d run a small un-switched (Fused) power wire from the battery to your lamp location, then take your power and ground from the existing dome light and have them switch the coil of a relay. This way the relay and separate 12v you ran from the battery are taking the load instead of the existing circuit. You have to remember the existing circuit already has 5 lights on it. I'd rather play it safe and avoid sucking more power from it. You can mount the relay behind one of the interior panels on the C pillars in the back, should be more than enough room.

If I get around to doing it, I’ll do some install pic's for yall.

Danny

Comment

for us full window guys... map lights on the c-pillars would probably work better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X