fuse/load ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuse/load ?

I want to add lights in my trunk - Don't know how many yet since I don't know what will be enough. I just want to use small 194 LED bulbs since they need the least amount of juice.

Going to wire it so they're all triggered with a switch - Found out that the socket that my existing trunk light has is triggered when the unit is tipped upside down, so I can't just wire lights straight off of that and have them turn off when the trunk is closed.

What do I need to know before I do this? The wiring is easy enough, I just don't know if there would be any concerns with more bulbs drawing more power through the same wire (I am tapping the power from the trunk light and running it through a switch and then sending that to all of the sockets). They wouldn't be on for more than a few minutes at a time if that matters.

How would you do this?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

No need to worry... the LED bulbs use much less power than regular bulbs. haven't you been listening??? lol.
    Just proceed as planned - I dont have any fuse upgrades for any of mine
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Why not get some led tube or ribbon, uses little energy and would look more seamless if you lined up under the lip with it.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yeah there are a lot of LED strip products out there... I have a few varieties in my boxes
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
          Why not get some led tube or ribbon, uses little energy and would look more seamless if you lined up under the lip with it.

Most of the ones I've seen look goofy. Do they usually have on/off switches on em? That would be a bit more hassle-free than wiring up a switch and mounting it etc....just adhering a light strip to the lip of the trunk and wiring it in would be dandy.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            yeah there are a lot of LED strip products out there... I have a few varieties in my boxes
            educate me!

EDIT: or just post pics so I can steal your ideas like I did with the LED dash.
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

they're probably junk (i will report my findings), but these flexible light strips are dirt fuckin' cheap on fleabay. i bought 4x 72cm and 4x 15cm strips. Should be enough for what I have in mind....post pictures anyway though
              sigpic

Comment

You could put ten more lights off of that single wire powering the trunk light. I wouldn't worry in the least.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Use a trunk tilt switch from a Mark VII. 2 wires, no bulb socket. Just wire it in the + wire.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

those strips sound like what I used for the 85's show... you can cut them to any length (keeping groups of 3) if you can solder.

sigpic

Comment

Damn that is the tool I need! I do all my soldering by myself. You can only imagine how much of a struggle that is.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also these are cheap - not flat but are super bright. I made some homemade tube enclosures for them

sigpic

Comment

You don't have one??? lol... one of those and the solder-less bread board you see in the pic are a must for small electronics mojo!
                          The other gizmo is called "helping hands" or something on those lines, if you are looking for one.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ahh helping hand! Gotta look for one of those. And that breadboard....temporary right? Just jamming in wire and testing stuffs?
                            ~David~

Comment

I've been thinking of LED stripping behind the limo-light lens on the B pillar... get a more even light on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X